How do I get the "Targeted Offer" bullseye?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TravelBear, Jul 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    So sifting through the posts I see many offers that end up being "targeted". Some look quite nice but I apparently don't have the bullseye on my back...yet. What is your experience with becoming a target? I am more interested in airlines at the moment.

Thanks for your input!

pnoeric likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Targeted simply means banks offer you deals and products based upon existing history or any other information that they can gather about you. Most the times its if you have a long standing relationship with a bank; and they can gather your habits they will target you.

Sometime they won't target you; but you'll be in the target market. Aka they wont directly offer to you; but if you apply they might give it to you based upon the market you're in.

wrxmom and 2soonold like this.
  3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the general target is high spending. For the extra high offer you should probably also be very modest in the eyes of the creditors, i.e., only a few long standing credit cards in your file. This shows that you are not impressed with the standard offer and needs something extra, and that your wallet is worth the extra dough.

BTW. Your credit reports contains statement balances and payment information, whence the banks has easy access to your potential profitability.

wrxmom and 2soonold like this.
  4. TravellingScholar

TravellingScholar Active Member

Status Points:
    +1. High spending and a conservative profile are the way to go. I just got an offer for 100k MR points via an Amex platinum with 3k spend over 3 months. I'm my spending patterns had something to do with it.

wrxmom and cvarming like this.
  5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can be frustrating not getting those targeted offers; but, what'cha gonna do?:mad:
    Last year, American had a sweet offer; but you had to live in CA,IL, or TX.
    This year I got a targeted offer from AmtrakGuestRewards because ... I was a member of their frequent traveler program, and I have NOT spent enough on travel with Amtrak so far this year.

6. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It never hurts to call and ask. In my experience, the airlines won't play. But, American Express and Chase will sometimes step up to the plate. Of course, if they refuse you can always make them awkward by asking what it is about your custom that isn't sufficiently enticing. Occasionally, you'll get an honest agent who will point out the number of applications, churns, or cards to your name. Always interesting to hear what they say, although take it with a grain of salt, eh?

pnoeric likes this.
  7. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's worth mentioning that every offer is different-- some offers will be designed to try to reward high-rollers by pushing them a little further, so they're targeting people who spend a lot regularly. Other offers may be designed to get people to re-start their spending after not using a card/cards for a while, so they'll target former high-rollers who have dropped off. Other offers will be targeted at people just getting started with credit cards... other offers may target only to your state or region... etc etc etc. There's every variation out there, so it's hard to "become targeted" for any one thing (and when you do, you are by definition no longer "targeted" for other offers that are trying to reach the type of consumer you are not).

LOVE this idea!

cvsara and 2soonold like this.
  8. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that is something I would jump at in a second.

9. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you become a 'senor citizen' have no debt, everything is paid for, I have even asked "Whats a credit pull" Whats a credit score?" Usually silence on the other end for a few moments. They probably think they are taking to a real idiot. But that's ok, I don't mind what they think, just so I get what I want. I have told them, and a couple of our local banks that "I want to be the bank, cuz they have all the money, and make the rules. I like that part.

pnoeric likes this.
  10. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    high credit score
    long credit history
    low debt to credit ratio
    multiple credit cards with available credit of 25k or more