How do I finagle a PLT upgrade?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Tiki, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be for CP ACA where we are staying pre-cruise. I booked the cheapest room but would be nice to get upgraded to ocean view! Should I email and ask for it or wait until check in? This will be a paid stay (to get CTC hits) booked on PC website. I was only gold when I booked it but got PLT when my PC Visa card came and I used it.

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend that you contact the property to see what they are willing to upgrade you to. Although they are known to be somewhat generous in upgrades as a chain, sometimes an individual property may be a little more stingy

Tiki likes this.
  3. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL, I have never tried just flat out asking for an upgrade. This is the first IHG property that we will be staying at on a PAID stay in a while where an upgrade would make a difference. In cases where we had award stays and PLT status, we sometimes did get upgrades like at Bora Bora and Tahiti. Other paid stays have been at USA city based HIs or HIXs where all rooms are pretty much the same.

So do I just email them and say Hi, I am a PLT and was wondering if we would get an oceanview room? Or should I ask for a suite and let them bargain me down to oceanview? How do you do this?

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might be surprised at some of the properties. I received a real nice suite upgrade at the HIX in Eerie PA, ended up with a fireplace, separate bedroom, and jacuzzi bath

5. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    This place has some pretty incredible suites too with jacuzzis, I just need to figure out how to get upgraded to one! http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/us/en/acapulco/acamx/hoteldetail/hotel-room-rates

The plot thickens--the hotel is showing sold out for Friday but plenty of rooms on Saturday. It's Easter weekend so the sold out rooms could be travel agent blocked rooms. It's not cruise passengers because the ship sails on Sunday.

6. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tiki,

Below is the staff listing for the ACA CP. I'd send a polite e-mail to the attention of the GM with your reservation #, asking what benefits they offer Plats, and specifically asking about what upgrade they can offer. I've done this at other hotels with good results. Asking for something that's available to you isn't rude at all. It's the DYKWIAers who demand the upgrade that should be embarrased.

Andyandy

Marketing
    JESUS GALINDO
    Guest Services
    IRMA CORREA
    Sales And Marketing
    BLANCA E. FUENTES
    Meetings
    VIRGINIA SERNA
    General Manager
    ELVIA ZAVALA JIMENEZ
    Human Resources
    MARIA EUGENIA RODRIGUEZ
    Sales
    BLANCA E. FUENTES
    Food And Beverage
    OBDULIO SIERRA
    Front Office
    FERNANDO GOMEZ
    Hotel Email Address
    reservaciones@cpacapulco.com

Tiki and Tim O'Brien like this.
  7. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if the emado notes not get the answer you are looking for, ask nicely at check in. Give them the opportunity to tell you no. If you do not ask, the answer is always no.

tahewett and Tim O'Brien like this.
  8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, the night before, you might want to check your reservation online, as I have seen some properties will upgrade the reservation the night before if there is space available for an upgrade.

9. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are aiming for more than a one level upgrade, then you may have some work to do. In addition, the longer your stay, the harder it will get. Most of my really good upgrades have been on single night stays. Multi-night stays have tended to be the one level upgrade.

10. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I second the e-mail thoughts. I've been able to secure upgrades in advance for free or a small charge. At the very least, contact the property and have them update your new status in the reservation in their system. When I switched tiers last year, it was not automatic for me with existing reservations.

Tiki likes this.
  11. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certainly do shoot off an email. It's a nice strategy that has always at least received an acknowledgment from staff. Normally though I find it's best to email before booking, letting them know I'm thinking of staying and if they offer any upgrades/benefits for PLT members. If I wanted to stay in a particular room, I'd ask if it's possible to be upgraded to that room by buying X.

It's useful to also try to leverage some power, are you booking room for other people? If so does the 'organiser' receive a free upgrade/room?

I know this doesn't apply to you, but if you're staying for a week or a longer period then try to negotiate the rate or get a better room.

Tiki and travelingmore like this.
  12. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great ideas! OK I will send an email, I guess advising them of what time our bus gets in (Estrella de Oro) from MEX is a good enough excuse. I didn't want to sound DYKWIA and put them off which is why I was hesitant about emailing them. It's only a 2 night stay.

13. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got a reply already. Looks like we have to wait until we get there.

14. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG, I got it! We don't smoke but no biggie, we have a whole balcony to air it out.

Room Type:
    KING BED BAHIA STE OCEAN FRONT SMOKING - 3 PERSON(S) MAX PER ROOM

KIXman likes this.
  15. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LOL is getting upgraded to a smoking room when you book a non smoking room even a cat up really want you'd want as an upgrade? Seems pretty poor to me.