How do I ensure that the booking class is eligible for miles with e.g. Hipmunk?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by masterlobsterr, Feb 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. masterlobsterr

masterlobsterr New Member

Status Points:
    Hello Milepoint!
    I feel horrible for asking this question because it seems so simple, but I haven't really found an answer to this anywhere after extensive research.. Maybe you could help me out?

I'm an AAdvantage member and I'm trying to find flights for a multi-city itinerary next summer. London to Tokyo and Seoul to London. If I search for OneWorld flights with Hipmunk I get a lot of results no official OneWorld airline booking system would show, and the Hipmunk tickets seem to be cheaper as well.

Now, how do I ensure that the booking class is valid for miles? As I understand it, it could show me flights from travel agencies that sell tickets with special fare classes which might not give me a single mile.. Or am I mistaken?

Thanks for your help!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are probably mistaken. Sort of.

They fares Hipmunk will sell you are not consolidator fares nor are the opaque fares, the two main categories which can result in no miles earnt. That said, you also need to confirm what fare class the tickets are booked in to as all programs, but especially oneworld airlines, have different earning rules depending on the program. Hipmunk generally will not show you the fare class but the booking sites it links you to will. Some may require you to find a not-so-well publicized link for fare rules or similar but they should all show it prior to making the purchase.

chrislacey and blackjack-21 like this.
  3. masterlobsterr

Status Points:
    Hmm.. Looks like hipmunk searches for fares with priceline, which I believe is all about opaque fares. No wonder I couldn't see the fare class!
    I didn't know what opaque fares were until I read your post though, so thanks! I think I understand now.. :)

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've highlighted the key phrase from Seth's post that you need to understand.

When Hipmunk shows you the best fare (after you've selected your departure and return,) you click on the link to book. From there, you can see the fare classes. Just because it is PL does not mean it is opaque; PL also lets you book where you know the flights, etc.

The rub comes when you are booking a codeshare flight because the fare class on the metal is what actually links to the mile earning opportunity. For a completely made up example, a UA codeshare flight on AC metal may book with a fare class of W on UA; however, the AC fare class is G. AC G may only earn 50% on UA Mileage Plus, so you would only earn 50%.

Make Sense? I'm sure someone will tell me where I've gone off the rails (if I have,) but I wanted you to understand some of those complexities :)

blackjack-21 likes this.
  5. masterlobsterr

Status Points:
    Are we talking about the same site? Priceline with William Shatner, yes? I see no links of any kind that would let me "book where I know the flights" on PL. All I can do is purchase the flight with PL, no info about the fare classes either, so I'm guessing they are opaque fares. Unless I'm missing something really obvious, PL is only giving opaque tickets for London -> Tokyo -> London flights (with oneworld).

Maybe it's different for some routes or airlines? A bit confusing.. Thanks for your help though.

6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we are. See the right of the screen "For Deeper Discounts", that is the opaque bidding Priceline website of old. Now, you can also do like Expedia, etc. and pick your flights.
    Image Removed...

There is nothing opaque about selecting your specific flights and times.

Now, how each website may or may not show fare classes differs. The last time I booked with Expedia (through a Hipmunk link,) it showed me all of that info before booking. PL may not be so friendly :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  7. masterlobsterr

Status Points:
    Oh! All I was doing was following the link book-now-link from Hipmunk, and not doing another search on the priceline website.. Perhaps I misunderstood something earlier. Also, I just re-read my earlier post: "A bit confusing.. Thanks for your help though." by that I meant priceline is confusing, not you or your advice! Sorry :)

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hipmunk cannot search the opaque fares on Priceline. If you click through from Hipmunk to Priceline then it is a published fare. You'll need to get the fare class still to ensure that it will earn depending on the fare purchased and the program you're crediting to, but the details are there. I just did a dummy booking and on the payment page there is a line which says "Change penalties/restrictions apply. Please read the important fare rules and restrictions." If you click on the link there on "fare rules and restrictions" it pops up a new window which includes the chunk:

and
    That's a L fare outbound and a K fare on the return.

9. masterlobsterr

Status Points:
    How many times have I said I understand and still failed.. Well now I think I do, plus I can find the fare classes on tripline which is amazing. Thanks for being so patient with me! :)