How do I book SWU/RU upgrade flights?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Mar 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like many UAers, I am slowly becoming familiar with the CO booking engine. I found it great last year for booking awards (much superior to the UA engine), but now I am perplexed by the process of booking flights when I want to use either my SWU or RU credits (or whatever these are now called). I sign in, then check the "MP Upgrade Award" box and do my search. When I find flights that have upgrade space available, I select those outbound and returns, then move to the final booking screen. However, all that ever shows up here is upgrading with miles, and a huge copay. I can't get the system to show just the SWU/RU fare, or indicate I will be using these rather than miles. (In all the cases I have searched today, I click on the word "fare" and see both R and RN have seats open.)

Can someone please explain how to do this type of booking. Or link this to a thread where that discussion has taken place.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Book then upgrade. Requesting the upgrade during the booking process doesn't work right.

To search for GPU-eligible long-haul flights you should do an advanced search and put Y,B,M,E,U,H,Q,V,W in the fare class box. For all other routes any fare should be eligible for upgrade with either instrument.

Golfingboy likes this.
  3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just want to add, you will have to wait for your reservation to ticket before you can redeem the upgrade. It should only take thirty minutes at the most.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not really that different from UA's system for Region 1. You just book and then apply the RPU or GPU later since nearly all, if not all, classes are eligible. A distinct advantage of the PMCO system is that for Region 2, which requires a GPU (or miles) and at least a W fare, the new system lets you input a specific fare class, whereas on .bomb, you entered the upgrade type (SWU) and got all fares that were eligible and had to sort through to find out which were cheapest...etc...

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. Think I'll get the knack of it before long. Do like the fare class availability display.

Golfingboy and Wandering Aramean like this.