How did you get your RA status?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by glu800, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. glu800

glu800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    I'm fairly new to Priority Club and the whole IHG chain, but I've been recently staying at ICs quite often... which got me thinking if I should pay to join the Ambassador program. And then once I started looking into that, my sights naturally went to how to achieve RA status. My question is, for everyone here who has RA, how did you get it? Was it purely through stays at the IC? Did you buy the referral off someone? Was someone kind enough to give it to you?
    It certainly sounds enticing to achieve RA status, but I'm not sure it's worth it for me to spend a lot of my own personal money for the stays needed.
    Thx

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  2. CIPAS
    Original Member

CIPAS Silver Member

Status Points:
    I earned hard way.
    Why don't you start with AMB first? If you are staying more than 3-5 nights per year, you should get AMB.

brinkers likes this.
  3. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got it the hard way too. I'm guessing I had about 10 nights in Holiday Inns, 4 nights in 3 different ICs and about 170 nights in HIXs.

CIPAS is right, if you're doing more than a few nights in ICs, get on the Amb train. Because I so rarely am in cities that have ICs, Amb makes the most sense for me. With my stay pattern RA is just a nice benefit that I get to use on those rare occasions that I find myself in an IC hotel.

4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Initially, my husband bought an RA cert off of eBay for me, but I've since reupped 2 years running "the hard way". All of our travel is discretionary and on our own dime. We average about 80 nights a year at IHG properties, and about 50% of those at ICs (usually at least 10 different properties worldwide).

We all have our own reasons [​IMG]

5. glu800

glu800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am seriously considering just pulling the trigger on getting Ambassador status since I have a night in IC San Francisco this weekend and 2 nights at the IC New Orleans the week after... probably more later this year. Don't think I will ever have enough nights in a year to achieve RA tho :( So my only option is to purchase a referral... not sure that's really worth it for me.
    I wish I worked somewhere that would put me up in ICs on their dime! :)

6. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you decide to buy Amb status, you will probably get a better upgrade if you purchase at a hotel, rather than online. At least it would give you some negotiating room. The SF IC is great, hope you enjoy it!

7. bmw9983
    Original Member

bmw9983 Active Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know what the average going rate for purchasing/trading for an RA referral is? Not looking to turn this into a requesting thread, but am interested in possibly acquiring one. I was a long time member, but infrequent poster at FT, so never was involved in the trading forum over there - any info is appreciated. Thanks.

8. WonderBret
    Original Member

WonderBret Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I did it the hard way, but with relatively little out of pocket cost. I worked for a consulting company and I worked for the IHG account. We helped train the staff and open the new hotels. I had maybe 12 paid nights (on vacations), spread across a few Intercontinental properties. The rest of my 250+ nights/year were all comped, but when reviewing RA qualifiers, I was proof that they counted comped nights.

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. The property gets some sort of incentive to sell AMB and should show their appreciation.

10. DaveS&V
    Original Member

DaveS&V Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hard(ish) way for me. My work travel provides the the required total of nights mainly in CP, HI but with only one IC in the UK I have to plan a few holidays to locations with an IC. On a recent trip to Hong Kong my friends thought I was mad as I insisted in staying at both IC but it was an easy way for me to get two different IC stays to help my renewal

11. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always through stays - I first got it by accident, I did lots of nights in HIs/CPs but had a trip to Singapore planned, and the IC had the cheapest rates for that particular date. Then I discovered the free weekend night certificate would save me more than cost of Ambassador, so signed up.

After that, I did two reward nights at different ICs and suddenly the new status appeared - since then, I have had to work quite hard to keep it some years, and did drop back down to Ambassador for a few months a couple of years ago when sickness stopped me travelling for a while. These days, I might not go out of my way anymore to get RA - unless you stop in ICs a lot, you can easily spend more qualifying for it than you save from upgrades and the free mini-bar - purchasing Ambassador used to be a no-brainer if you had a weekend stay, but even that is less clear-cut now that the wekend night voucher has strings attached.

12. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I keep an eye on them on eBay sometimes because I find the sales to be ...interesting sometimes. It looks like eBay has been doing some "sweeps" where they've been taking down sales of RA certs recently, though, as auctions I was watching have completely disappeared (they are not completed; they're gone). eBay seems to do this in fits and spurts, I'm not sure if it's because of complaints or what; they seem to do it actively a few times a year, though. Prices on eBay go anywhere from about US $550 to $700+. Not sure of the rationale behind the pricing or what they go for, I guess it's just supply and demand.

As for trades, on FT they go for anything from free (rarely publicly announced as such, though) to being traded for 70K PC points, $700 worth of vouchers...I think it kind of runs the gamut.

13. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've given a couple away for nothing on FT in the past - I've never wanted to run the risk of losing my own membership by getting caught trying to sell/trade one. Before anyone asks, I don't have one now, and have plans for who to give my next one to [​IMG]

14. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got mine through stays. I thought they counted from the Amb. year, but it looks like they counted 365 days back. I was upgraded about 4 days after I hit 50 nights. I think I had 50/50 different IC's and CP's and some nights HI.

I am also afraid of selling the referral cert. on E-Bay as I would not risk my own membership level. However my ref. cert., expire only one month before my membership expire so I might give it to my husband just in case (the horror-stories about 80+ nights are in my mind).

Good luck in your hunting for RA!

Xxx.

bmw9983 likes this.
  15. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Originally a referral from a "friend". Now trying to requalify the hard way, and finding that dealing with the RA service center to be very frsutrating due to the "secrecy" of the number of nights needed to requalify.

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've been successfully re-referred for the past 5 years. [​IMG]

17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just 'won' an RA referral, it will start in March.
    and this is the reason despite numerous stays I have never 'gone for' RA status, I'd rather go for the known with hotel chains that state their tiers and how to earn them.

18. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. My frustration stems from the fact that I happen to be close to what I believe is the magic number for requalifying (50), but am having to argue with RA reps about the number of qualifying nights that have posted to my account, as there is a discrepancy between my count and IC's count. And they keep telling me not to worry about it because "the top 1% are at 85+ nights".[​IMG]

19. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am an AMB, but would like one day to get the RA moniker. I'll be doing it the hard way though - I don't like the idea of buying a cert off e-bay, but that is just me.

20. Received a referral cert first year, enjoyed the benefits, had 140 IC nights last year and RA was renewed.

21. Eorpa
    Original Member

Eorpa Active Member

Status Points:
    Yeah well don't forget me when you're giving away the one after your next one! ;)

22. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here for the past 4 years or so.

Skyvillager likes this.
  23. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed about 70 paid nights last year, one paid stay at an IC, and award redemptions at two other IC properties.

24. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Referrals for me for the last 3 years. A couple through the CC on that "other" website. The expense and uncertainty of Ebay has kept me away from that route. I'm back to plain old ambassador in April, but I just got Mrs. Andyandy referred so I'll ride her coattails for a while! [​IMG]

25. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you find that RA is worth attaining in light of the standard PC plat not being very useful? It seems great once you get there but it seems like there are no benefits from PC in the interim.