How come we never have threads like this here?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by newbluesea, Jan 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the takeaway here for the OP is that he has wasted countless hours and days of his life that he will never get back trying to get resolution for a truly 1st world problem. Move on.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man, this is a world class rant right there... :)

Personally I'm with the crowd that believes the OP was trying to pull a fast one on the hotel, clearly didn't plan properly and included NO slack in his itinerary, then went nuclear when things didn't go as well as he had planned.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    To answer the question the OP asks: not enough people here.

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the other hand, I did hit every one of the pages in that thread, which is probably great for their traffic statistics.

6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    TLDR

Too long, didn't read.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should... at least the TA review. It was awesome. :)

8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, you want entertainment, you got entertainment: ;)
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...e-at-the-french-british-hoteliers-told.78947/

You want endless drama, you got endless drama: :eek:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...-will-never-stay-st-regis-property-again.html

9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the ABA rate that he booked: "Upgrade at time of check in based on availibilty."

My own complaint: Someone mispeled "availability" in the rate terms. (The last time that the SR misspelled something, it made me an hour late to one of the most important events of my entire year.)

Misplaced Texan and Newscience like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough but on retrospect I don't think many here stay at properties where they are likely to get bent out of shape when the butler doesn't unpack their luggage and lay it out underwear and all.:D

That said I have stayed at a few SR and even got upgraded to suite at the Aspen property but I never found a need for the butler service ( not sure if it was even available)

LETTERBOY, viguera and Newscience like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally don't even like it when the front desk sends someone to show me to the room and give me the tour de chambre. It's usually late at night and i just want to get to bed. I'd definitely be bent out of shape if there was a butler trying to even LOOK at my undies.

12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TA review clearly indicates that the author needs desperately to grow up! :p
    - The author emails the hotel front desk, and is upset that he wasn't acknowledged immediately :eek:
    - He calls the hotel from the limo to announce his impending arrival! (does this guy think that he is Borat? :cool:)
    - He expects to be awarded a suite upgrade per his corporate account, yet he was checking into the hotel for a personal stay :rolleyes:
    - He expects a seat at the bar and complimentary drinks when he is delayed at the hotel
    - He expects the hotel staff to unpack his luggage! :confused:
    - He expects better taxi service than can be found in NYC :confused::confused:
    - He unacceptably sees flowers and champagne with his luggage, but not yet placed in his room
    - The AC is too cold in his room (how do you say "control knob")? :p
    - And on, and on, and on...

Can the TA review author say/spell/understand the meaning of "Prima Donna"? :rolleyes:

LETTERBOY and viguera like this.
  13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    How one evaluates this really depends on how accurate (I'm a nice guy and won't use the word "honest") the OP is being.

If he really booked a suite then he's certainly entitled to it and to the services that come with it (which in the case of St Regis suites, as I understand it, does in fact include, by contract, personal butling). In that case he's certainly entitled to an apology, and correction, by the hotel.

On the other hand, if he booked a room with a space-available upgrade and then caused a stink (and delay) at check in because space wasn't available then I don't blame the hotel for telling him to buzz off.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell on the strength of the evidence what really happened. However, based on the actual posts on FT, my personal evaluation is:
    • The poster has a lot of trouble clearly stating what happened (times, actual nature of the reservation, etc) and to me that indicates that the facts may not be clearly in his favor.
    • The poster has a tendency to fly off the handle at the slightest provocation and therefore may well be responsible in large part for exacerbating many of the original problems and also for any inability on the part of the hotel to negotiate a settlement.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    LETTERBOY, viguera and Newscience like this.
  14. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the packing/unpacking..…. That is one of the amenities for all rooms at the St Regis Manhattan. Also butler service comes with all rooms, too

I read the rant too on FT. He originally posted what became his TA rant in another thread on FT about disappointing luxury hotels.

The part I liked the best was having the hotel "hold" a taxi for him when there was already a line of folks waiting for taxis because he was running late for his 4 th wedding reception.

15. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, viguera and dstober like this.
  16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p
    This.. the four wedding receptions and his $1000 suit made by the seamstress (who still uses that description) of Boardwalk Empire shows this guy surely thinks he's living at
    Downton Abbey:D

LETTERBOY, Newscience and viguera like this.
  17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kill joy.. I bet if he was talking about the Four Points Miami Beach you'd have a lot to say:D

LETTERBOY and Newscience like this.
  18. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Newscience likes this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah there was apparently a lot of misinformation / misdirection by the OP, and then outrage when things didn't go his way. I haven't gone back to check, but my understanding was that the OP was married months earlier (which explains why he didn't post times) and was using this as an excuse to try to get the hotel to go out of their way with things like the upgrade and service.

Now in all fairness the hotel probably doesn't know this, but even then "subject to availability" are never words that I take lightly when booking. If it was my party and I was booking a "reception" and wanted to have all this wow factor of butlers and special service, I would have booked the suite to begin with to make sure there would be no misunderstanding about what I was entitled to.

The taxi business is indeed hilarious because you can easily get the hotel to either arrange for the house car, hire a car for you - that would indeed be waiting for you as soon as you step off the elevator -- or just fire up the Uber app and get a sedan yourself.

This seems like one of the most egregious cases of DYKWIA, combined with the fact that he might not even actually have been entitled to most of what he was asking for.

I'd be interested to see if in a few weeks/months there's a grand blog post somewhere from him about his magnificent "4 wedding receptions" that would reveal more details about what's going on.

20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the plot thickens:) he is planning an unbelievably exhausting trip to Japan in late 2014. He has been seemingly asking on one of the luxury hotel boards if he subjects the hotels ( and apparently other travel entities to what appears to be his usual) multitude of complaints whether the Japanese by nature would back down:rolleyes:.
    Well I have news for him that one nation that sort of cynical modus operandi wont work at all.

Stayed tuned for the sequel " I wont ever visit Japan again" :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  21. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will never visit FT again. ;)

22. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the thread has been locked. I predicted things wouldn't go well.

23. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the FT gurus have probably scoped out this Milepoint string, and then decided to deep-six that thread. ;)

24. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well it's now been uncovered that the OP has posted twice on FT. As I stated in the FT thread, his post wasn't to share his experience, it was retaliatory.

Sammich, Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.