How close will you be without going into the next Medallion level?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelerRob, Sep 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    With buku rollover still in my account and flying DL very little this year - I just booked another ticket on them to help me get back from Amman, Jordan.

The ticket is actually an M-Up fare JFK-SEA which will net me 3,610 MQM. This will put me at 124,749 MQM for the year, just under DM level.

Since I'm not flying DL much these days I'm thinking I'll hold back from getting DM and give myself almost 50K of rollover for next year and live with Plat status. Next year is when I need to decide if I'm moving most of my travels back to DL or keeping them on UA.

How close will you be to a Medallion level without going over?

-RM
    PS - I actually have another ticket booked on DL for November but will consider crediting that one to AS if I really want to hold off on DM for next year.

DeltaExpert and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    124,749 MQM on DL and you don't fly them much? :)

DeltaExpert, bigx0 and marcwint55 like this.
  3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will still be at 0.

lol.

DeltaExpert, marcwint55 and Jett Rink like this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the rollover, you can do this with no flights during the current year, let alone with "very little" flights. <emphasis added>

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gah I thought I was going to be closer than I am. I "lost" a trip I was supposed to take and now I'm going to be about 5K MQMs short of gold. REALLY considering doing a PBI-SEA-PBI mileage run with no stayover. to push me over the edge. Cost is around $380. Not sure if I can swing it though being away for a night.
    I COULD always bump from the plat DL Amex to the Reserve DL Amex. Cost is $450 but I would get 10K MQMs and lounge access for a year.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.

I've "flown" less than 15K EQM this year. After this next trip it'll be just over 18K.

-RM

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...I'll start 2013 with about 50k rollover...no cutting it close this year. ;)

DeltaExpert likes this.
  8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 11.2K MQM. How did I end up with that much :? :eek: Fuel-dumped TATL from last year I suppose... AF W upgraded to J...while that was still possible. Not now. Not even worth buying FD itin on DL now.

So I will take advantage of "complimentary annual Silver Medallion" status, at least for the following year before Jeff changes that benefit :)

After that, I will be liberated. It will all be best in class.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of instances where they will give you the diamond status since you are so close. You may want to advise them that you don't want the higher status and want to let the miles roll over.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currently at 43,700, have one trip left that will leave me at 49,215. Going to rollover >24K and then run for Gold by the end of February, then for Platinum by mid-summer, then look for status match possibilities while I start emptying my Delta account (with free changes courtesy of PM).

Had a bunch of award travel this year. Had one trip that was 22K EQMs but decided to fly SQ and credit to A3. Otherwise I would have gone on AF for 20K or 30K in PV, which would have given me PM this year.

11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that will happen with a formal Rollover policy. AA has given people EXP with 99,9xx miles, but there's a big difference between the 50K level and the 100K level (and no rollover!).

12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That probably happens but moreso when the person requests it because they are so close. I suspect since the policy is to rollover anything up to the next level (or over DM) then they will roll over the 49,749 miles to my account for next year.

If they do decide to give me DM as a 'gift' I will call and ask them for the rollover instead which I'm sure will be a hassle but worth it.

-Rob

13. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started working towards a status mid-year and with one more trip planned (though not booked) I will be ~500miles short of Silver. Not sure if I could fit a leg into the upcoming trip that would push me over.

14. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I will end the year at 123,700. Now to decide if I want to do an MR.:)

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that you don't get rollover unless you reach a status level. So 24999 MQMs = no status and 0 miles rollover next year. 25001 miles = Silver + 1 rollover mile.

miles and smiles and DeltaExpert like this.
  16. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah seriously travelbear... you better add a segment in or something or it's pretty much worthless.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  17. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Like the others have said you'd wind up with no status and no rollover in this situation.

I would pay the $75 SDC fee on one of your itins and get an extra segment added. It's usually pretty easy to do as long as there's Y availability on the flight. This should get you to silver for only $75 instead of buying a new ticket.

-RM

DeltaExpert likes this.
  18. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is where my extremely limited knowledge of booking comes into play. SDC allows you to change your flight time on the same day of travel......I hate to sound stupid but how does this help?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  19. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can add a segment in between, as long as it meets the fare rules. So if you are flying SFO-ATL, you can SDC to SFO-DTW-ATL if the fare rules allow. Other times, I've had a ticket for LGA-DTW-LAX (because it was the cheapest) but switched to LGA-ATL-LAX for 200+ extra MQMs.

miles and smiles and DeltaExpert like this.
  20. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just figured out I have over 31k MQM already booked for flights thru the middle of November. I guess I will not be stopping short this year!! (unfortunately, I couldn't avoid 2 CRJ2's and I am not leaving the lower 48 :( )

DeltaExpert likes this.
  21. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oops, I forgot that DL rounds up when doing the 50% MQM bonus that ends in .5 :) I'm actually 250 miles short of Diamond for next year, not the 251 I was expecting.

We'll see how the other airlines continue to treat me in the next 5 weeks to decide whether I credit my Nov quick weekend trip to DL to push me over or go for maximum rollover and Plat next year.

-RM

DeltaExpert and USAF_Pride like this.
  22. zornoff

zornoff Active Member

Status Points:
    I've planned my trips to end the year at 74K; I'd rather start next year as a GM with 24K MQM's than as a PM with 0.

23. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep did the reserve card and should be rolling over about 8K MQMs. Good news is that means I'm hitting GM next week so I'll have a couple of months in 2012 at GM.

24. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So here's my plan:

Currently have 33,607 MQMs (too much award travel this year and my 22K EQM paid trip was on *A, not ST :)). Will get 10K from Amex tomorrow. Probably will do one more LAX-ATL rt, so at 3894 miles that puts me at 47501 miles.

I might do one more LA-NY transcon, in which case I need to keep it under 2499 miles. LAX-JFK direct is 2475 miles and LAX-DTW-LGA is only about 10miles more. If i get changed on routes, I'll put my Alaska # instead. I'll use my A3 miles for the return, so I'll end with 49,976 MQMs and rollover 24,976 miles.

I'm canceling my Plat Amex tomorrow when my annual fee posts, and will apply for the Reserve in January with a 10K MQM bonus (hopefully more but unlikely). I'll have 34,976 MQMs then. I have a few trips planned for February, should come close to 15K (haven't purchased yet so don't know exactly how much). If I hit 50K before 2/28/2013, I won't ever NOT have GM.

My plan is to hit 75K soon after that so that some mileage bookings I'm in the process of making (waiting for schedule to open up) become free for date changes/cancellations. I'm also planning to hit by June 30 so that I can match to United if they are still offering it, because I want PPlat for the same flexibility with my UA miles (going to be making lots of bookings in 2013/2014).

Am I overlooking anything? With this plan, I should have PM through 2/2015 (qualify for 2014 year), and never dip below GM (at least for no more than one trip).

All my travel is personal, and I've become too addicted to status ... I don't mind no upgrades, but free EC/E+ is a huge thing, saves me more than bag fees each trip.

miles and smiles likes this.
  25. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With my current flying, I will reach January 1, 2013 with 0 MQM, falling from "Charter" Diamond as of March 1, 2013 unless I pack a lot of flying into the first two months of 2013 ;)