How close to arrival are prepaid rates available?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to booking a couple nights at a property to extend an already existing award stay. Right now, the only available rooms are "Club" rooms, i.e., more expensive than I really want to ideally pay. Also considering that I don't need a club room since (as a Diamond) I should get upgraded to one.

I suppose there's a chance that some regular rooms at lower rates will become available between now and my stay mid-March. So my question is:

- should I book a refundable rate now (total $100 more than the prepaid rate) and hope for cheaper room to become available?
    - lock in the non-refundable room and write it off as a lesson learned (should've booked rooms last weekend)

How close to arrival to Hyatt properties typically pull the prepaid non-refundable rates?

2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's a good question - one that I don't know the answer to as I very rarely book pre-paid rates - but IIRC, if the property isn't sold out, it will be available to the very end.

3. I think they use the prepaid rate as a tool and vary it at will, based on bookings.
    Have seen prepaid rates at Hilton 48 hours before in London.

Have seen Hertz move it around, but the savings there isn't worth it.

If you are better than 90% sure you will stay there, I would go with the prepaid if it saves you $100.
    It also depends on the market, you can get an idea using kayak where the numbers fall.

Despite seasonal conditions, I think travel has softened a bit this quarter. (tad more than expected) Its not the same everywhere, but its just what I judge from airfare in many markets and the blanket deals and discounts other travel services are offering.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think what I might do is

1. for now book the Best Available Rate
    2. hope for non-club cheaper rooms to become available; if so, switch to them
    3. try to switch to prepaid a few days before arrival if 2 doesn't work out

Worst case, I get stuck with the BAR, but then I can get pretty close to prepaid rate by using Costco certs.

5. tigerwong
    Original Member

tigerwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen as close to 24 hours before, although I'd imagine this is largely at the discretion of the hotel. Last year, while mattress running for BWB stays, I would always book a AAA rate and track the websites for lower prepaid rates in the days leading up to my stay.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to offer the same pre-paid rate 24 hrs and 4 weeks before arrival.

7. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The advance purchase rates are usually in general offered up to 7 days of arrival for most properties but some properties do offer them up to 24 hours before arrival.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I am (for now at least) stuck with the BAR booking since the hotel is now sold out. Oh well.

9. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it sounds like you needed the flexibility, and since you have certs -- you'll be fine. I often book a refundable rate, & will switch to prepaid when I know I will definitely be staying at the property!

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I booked a prepaid rate at the GH Erawan Bangkok the other day and in the rate description it said that it must be booked at least seven days prior to arrival.