How clear fails at sfo :(

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by estnet, Sep 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had to take a few domestic red eyes from sfo and have noticed that between 7ish to 9ish there is little traffic but clear is open (although unnecessary), so when I got there at 10 a few nights ago and the lines were horrendous I was looking forward to using clear. Guess what - it was CLOSED. I got there about 2 minutes past and the TSA said they closed at 10 (but given the barrier up and no one in sight it must have been earlier)
    So..... I get to go through the "1st class/priority" line (which isn't priority since everyone with a cc gets to go there) and it takes 30 minutes!
    Open when it's not needed, closed when it's desperately needed:( Don't think they have convinced me to pay for their services when renewal comes around!

downhillcrasher likes this.
  2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention that it is a service of marginal value in the first place as it requires you to still undergo the same screening as the normal line (unlike pre-check, which SFO really needs). What does it really get you out of, the TSA looking at your ID? Not worth the money, IMO.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As there are no TSA at SFO, the TSA will not be looking at your ID anyway. That could also explain the lack or precheck.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So they have private TSA-like "secuity" blue-shirts. Doesn't really change downhillcrasher's core statement.

Clear lets you skip the line in front of the ID checker. It has nothing to do with security, and it makes no sense to give them biometric or other data. They should just be honest and position themselves as a line-skipping-for-fee service. And perhaps offer one-time use passes, so people who are in a hurry can skip the line for $5. Without all that nonsense of biometric data collection.

downhillcrasher and mattsteg like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on the clear front - mostly mentioned the non-TSA as a possible reason for the lack of precheck, and also because of the bad habit that people have of blaming bad actions by any and all airport security/customs/immigration/etc. on the TSA.

I have clear, but only because it is free for now. Otherwise it's a pretty worthless service.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the lack of TSA really has nothing to do with no pre-check at SFO, pre-check is coming, it just isn't out yet.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, on second thought SFO's status as a United hub probably has more to do with it. None of the SPP airports are precheck, but only SFO would reasonably be expected to be included.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - it used to be worthwhile when there were long lines and you could "cut" right to the head of the line, but it is surely of marginal value AND when they are open when not needed and closed when they are needed it totally makes the "service" useless.

Precheck OTOH is NOT guaranteed every time (that is you can be selected one time and not another) and (last time I checked) could not be used on an international itin. - both items that cost me an hour in line at MIA.

9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clear @ SFO has been very useful for me. For now, it's in a much more convenient location than the UA premier line in T3, and there's never a wait when I'm there, and they walk me right over to the belt and help with the bins. I too am using up my old membership. By next year, UA will redo their entire lobby at T3 and have an all new Premier lobby in between piers E and F. Maybe the situation will be different when they are finished with all that work, but for now, Clear is much better than walking all the way down to the Premier line, at least for me.

Sorry to hear it's not useful to you during their off hours

Their hours at all the checkpoints are posted on the web site. They say they close at 10pm at all the SFO checkpoints, so if you got there at 10pm, I'm not surprised they were closed.

http://clearme.com/where-it-works

As long as the Clear line is open when you get there, you are pretty much guaranteed zero wait. Is it worth it to pay for it? I think each of us has to make that call for themselves. I"m still working off the old membership.

-David