How churnable are Citi AA cards?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Justin Johnson, Nov 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have two Citi AA cards, personal amex and biz visa, both are coming up on their 2 year anniversaries.
    In the next 6 months or so I need to come up with about 30k AA miles to pay for my next big trip. So I'm trying to come up with a plan to reach that goal.

My understanding is after 18 months from last application I should be able to get a new card, with a big bonus. As a fall back I was thinking I should be able to get the Citi Mater card as I have never had that card before. Am I right or wrong?

Thanks

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might be mistaken, but I believe you need to cancel your card first & then wait to get the new sign up bonus...

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    the new card is no problem. for the existing ones, you have to cancel and then wait 18 months. If you check out some of the blog sights, there is a personal visa with a 50k bonus offered at present.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do not have to cancel your old cards. I didn't when I added a second personal card.
    Research over at Flyertalk has shown that people have successfully reapplied anywhere from 12 to 26 months after their previous application, with your chances of success going up the longer it's been. So, if you're at or near two years, you probably will have success.
    I recommend you take some time to read the first couple of posts in that thread and the last couple of pages. In my opinion that's where the best info is:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1262549-citi-aa-50k-plus-other-offers-they-appear.html
    And definitely pay attention to Citi's new public offers, as the old offers mentioned in the Flyertalk thread may stop working at any time.

5. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replays everyone.

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  6. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be evidence of this just one post up - "My first churn ever". Worth a read.

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  7. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Update, I applied for two cards and got instant approval for both of them.
    First was the 40k Master Card with $1000 spend in 3 months.
    Second was the 50k Visa personal card with $2500 spend in 4 months.

miles and smiles and Jett Rink like this.
  8. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! In 60+ days you can apply for another AA Business card if you still need/want more points. Although a number of people have claimed that cancelling the old business card is necessary, that has not been my experience with a sole proprietorship.

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As soon as the new cards show up I'm going to cancel the old ones as the fees are coming due. I think my next round of cards will be all Chase cards. But that won't be for at least 3 months, need to make spend on the new ones and let some stuff fall off my record.

Again thanks for all the advice.

10. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad you were successful! I'm going to be applying for our next round of churns this weekend as it has been to get my wife 2 more Citi cards as it has been 19 months since her last approval with Citi.