How CC friendly is your next destination

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by guinnessxyz, Feb 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20130220-how-credit-card-friendly-is-your-next-destination

Security concerns have led many places in Europe to accept only chip-and-pin credit cards, which causes trouble for travellers with magnetic-stripe cards. Proving more secure, chip-and-pin cards are embedded with microchips and require cardholders to input a personal identification number rather than signing receipts. In countries such as France, Belgium, Switzerland, Britain and the Netherlands, chip-and-pin credit cards are often the only ones accepted at unmanned machines in subway stations, train stations, bike sharing kiosks, parking meters, gas stations, parking garages and other transportation terminals.

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from Europe and couldn't get my chip and signature card to work in any of the kiosk machines like at train stations. I don't know why the US bank cards are only going halfway with this technology.

uggboy likes this.
  3. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    In some areas, merchants just don't accept credit cards and are cash-only or European-debit-card-only. We found this the case most places in and around Munich.

daninstl and uggboy like this.