How can you operate a business like this..

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by jakem4800, Dec 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    181 seats available??? What the heck, I guess everyone gets their own row to sleep in

Attached Files:

adrianors, Sammich, iolaire and 2 others like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business/First for all on board? :D

If you are booked on this flight, let MP know what transpires!

adrianors and daninstl like this.
  3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It happens.

United's London -> Dulles route flies 3 times a day (I believe) to almost totally full flights every time. Yet last month I was on one such flight and it had all of 14 Y passengers.

iolaire and Newscience like this.
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    SARS 2003. NRT-SIN. NW B742. 19 total pax, only 2 in J... Ms Shark and I. It is not every day one can experience a private 747 service but it sure makes for a memorable flight :)

adrianors, iolaire, Garp74 and 2 others like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good point! If you can find flights to Liberia, Guinea, or Sierra Leone, and are not particularly worried about Ebola transmission, there should be at least an empty seat besides yours! :eek:

bigeyejim and Garp74 like this.
  6. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just flew JNB->Dakar and then Dakar->IAD last week, and J was almost empty. On SAA, the two J cabins seat maybe 30-40. There were less than 10 of us. It was nice.

Newscience likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, did you receive a "special greeting" from US customs upon your return to the US? When we returned from Europe through IAD in October, we were greeted by mask-and-glove-wearing US customs agents, asking us questions about being ill with fever and GI symptoms. Some screening! :confused:

As an aside, I suspect that SAA stands for "South African Airways", and not "Lar Shively Airport" or "Laramie, WY", as per the Milepoint identifier popup! :D

8. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SAA is South African, yes. It's become my favorite airline, as they have consistently very high levels of service, and the J seats are awesome. (They look old, but for big guys like me, they're super comfy.)

I did not get any special treatment at IAD customs. CBP doesn't consider Senegal as part of the Ebola zone, so I could answer the Global Entry Ebola questions with a "NO".

I did, however, get special treatment at the medical facilities I went to that same day. Everyone wore gloves and masks and were following Ebola protocol, because the CDC considers Senegal as part of the Ebola zone, and I was showing a few markers. Scared the crap out of MrsGarp, and I'm still mad about that. There's no Ebola in Senegal >.<

Newscience likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yet! :eek::eek:

10. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    They recently announced a successful vaccine trial on 20 people. If larger trials are effective perhaps we'll live to see the eradication of ebola like small pox and polio. Science!

canucklehead and Garp74 like this.
  11. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was very spacious, we all got treated better then your average international cramped coach flight, I figured they would have downgraded the aircraft size. It was an easy trip

12. darrell888

darrell888 Active Member

Status Points:
    My smallest passenger count was 3, including me. The flight attendant asked us to pay attention to the safety briefing. I and one of the other guys took turns doing the briefing, "In case of an emergency an oxygen mask will drop from above. Make sure to put your own mask on before helping others. The bag may not inflate even though oxygen is flowing...". It was a fun flight. :)

13. CPRich

CPRich Active Member

Status Points:
    Late '90s, BWI-CLT. USAirways 737 all to myself. I sat in 2D and they did indeed go through the entire safety briefing. I felt I had to pay attention.

14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP DO anyone? Fill up that plane guys! ;)

15. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had the whole plane to myself, but due to some fluke, I did have first class all to myself once. People kept coming to try and use the bathroom,and the attendant kept yelling at them to get back to coach. Someone did ask if I was a movie star, and if I had reserved all of first class to myself to keep away from the masses...that was funny.