How can you do this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Jun 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen people on here and other websites have like crazy itineraries like Chicago-Paris-London-Venice-LA-Chicago all in business class for like 120,000. How is that possible? I tried just like 3 destinations with united and it was like 50,000 each leg?

Thanks

2. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to know the rules to push your awards to the edge of the rules. With United you get MPM + 15%. Hence if IATA publishes an MPM of 5000 miles for ORD-LHR one-way (just a guess, you have to find the MPM yourself) then if you start at ORD and make LHR you destination then you have 2 x 5750 miles to go with. You also get two stopovers and two open jaws. So you can do ORD-CDG-LHR with a stopover in CDG, then continue on your own to VCE and fly VCE-LAX-ORD with a stopover in LAX to see you nephew. Okay, I am not sure you can actually do VCE-ORD by something like VCE-FRA-LAX-ORD as it might be considered backtracking, but you might be able to. And this still leaves an open jaw on the table.

Okay this might not work as the MPM VCE-ORD might not leave enough room for VCE-FRA-LAX-ORD, but you get the picture.

Scottrick, Mikus33 and Randy Petersen like this.
  3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only on roundtrip awards