How can I tell which 757 I'm on?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by pnoeric, Nov 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm a United 1K making the jump to AA, so I'm doing the Platinum challenge and just got temporary Gold status... so I'm in the process of assigning myself into exit rows.

I have some flights on 757s, but I can't tell which of these two versions I'm on:
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_757-200.php
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_757-200_B.php

The reason I want to know is because for row 18 (the exit row), on one of the planes, 18 A and F reclines and on the other plane, 18 A and F do not recline.

I can't tell from the AA seat map which of the 757s I'm on, and the only difference online appears to be up in business, which (when I'm booked in coach) I can't see on the web, and AA reservations can't see the biz cabin either.

Is there any other way to tell which equipment I'll be on, so I know if I should request (or avoid) 18A/F?

zpaul likes this.
  2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the flight shows business available, you are on the B map (this is the international config). If it shows the front cabin as First, then you are on the regular (domestic) configuration.

zpaul, pnoeric and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    zpaul and pnoeric like this.
  4. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks y'all, I'll give that a try.

zpaul likes this.
  5. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you flying to Europe or South America? Those are the routes where the Front cabin is NGBC seats on the 757 and sold as Business Class. There are 3 variants of the 757 in service right now. The two shown with seat maps you have posted, and one other, which the domestic fleet are slowly converting to. I only prefer the aisle seats in exit rows on these aircraft, as the arm rest, seat, and window are not consistent or comfortable IMO on any of these configurations. To further complicate things, the aircraft could swap to another configuration at any time. Routing through LAX, we seldom see the NGBC 757s. Not sure if any of this helps.

6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are the exit rows up at the front of economy an option for you? To each his own I suppose, but I'd take those over the ones in the middle of the "slave ship" area (called that only for the rows & rows & rows of 6 across) any day. Sure, just like the mid-cabin exit rows, the seats are a bit narrower due to the in-armrest tray tables, and sure, in row 9 there's really no window, but they've loads of legroom, & space around the seats, lav is right there if needed, etc. I think they get the "yellow" colour-coding on the seatguru maps due to the "proximity to the galley" and the "seat width" issues...but they're not THAT bad.
    That, or, if you're already Gold and this is a domestic US flight (and possibly Central America/Carribean? Can't recall...), you can "buy" a few of the 500-mile ones and take your chances on the upgrade clearing. You'll have them to use as a Plat if they don't clear.

OceanBreezes and Microwave like this.
  7. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think picking up some e500s now to have as a platinum might be my best bet going forward. I'm fine with exit rows at the front of economy, though I just prefer no bulkhead. The main thing I'm after is extra legroom!

8. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless I'm mistaken, row 18 is exactly the same on all three 757 configurations (one configuration is missing from SeatGuru and SeatExpert).

I'll echo Skye1 in suggesting row 9 if you don't need the fuselage to lean on, and 10A or 10F if you'd like to lean against the wall--these are IMO the best Y seats on any of AA's 757s. It is worth noting that row 9 has "infinite" legroom, as the bulkhead is some 4-5 feet in front of the seats. 10A and 10F have very good legroom as well, although you have a bit less room to move them about than in row 9. If legroom is paramount, go for row 9.

pnoeric likes this.
  9. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic advice-- perfect-- thank you!

10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...then the exit row at the front of economy is your friend, and that's coming from 6'6" tall.

mowogo and pnoeric like this.
  11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And generally any non exit row is outright torture (Coming from someone who is 6'5")

Travel2Food likes this.
  12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....thus the nickname "slave ship" for this airplane.

mowogo likes this.