How can I search LAN Argentina availability for AA miles redemption?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jfhscott, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have searched, and verified what appears to be the equivalent of "saver" space on a couple of :AN Argentina flights (AEP-IGR-AEP). Availability appears to exist.

But when I attempt to book as part of an award redemption using AA miles, the agents tell me there is no availability.

(1) this may mean that what seems to be availability on Lan.com is not coextensive with what is available for AA award redemptions.

(2) this may mean that the AAgents I have spoken with do not know what they are doing.

And, yes, I have hung up and called again.

Any thoughts from the assembled?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What dates do you need? You're using LAN's website? Or are you using BA/QF?

jfhscott likes this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    1/26 - 1/27.

And I am using LAN's site, 20,000 KM is showing up in Coach, which is the only class of service.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Those dates don't show as available on any of the tools I usually use to search for award space. I'm fairly unfamiliar with LAN's awards but I tried three tools and none shows space on those dates.

Are you booking this as part of a larger award?

5. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to tag it onto DCA-EZE in F on AA, and, particularly trying to make the return part of an IGR-AEP/EZE-MIA-DCA without stopover.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you specifically note to the AAgent who was looking for space that the flight was economy only? I recently did an award change to a complex ticket and the first AAgent kept insisting that there was no space on FRA-BER with AirBerlin. I kept seeing space. I told her it was Y only and she said there was no space without even looking. I suspect she was looking for F award space on the flight, which obviously wouldn't show up.

Called back with another AAgent, noted that the flight was Y only and was happy to take a voluntary downgrade for that portion, and suddenly space was available.

Not sure that will help you, as I said LAN award space is not my forte, but worth a shot maybe? Again, it doesn't show as available on any tools I've seen though, so it's possible it's actually not available, too.

7. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did, but when I call back, I will start out indicating that all I want is AEP-IGR-AEP, disclosing that I want F from DCA to EZE only AFTER they do or do not find the space.

Thanks for your help - I'll report back!

8. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very bizarre result here - when I inquired about AEP-IGR-AEP, the platinum line rep indicated that they have lost the ability to book LAN awards, and do not know when it will be back up.

9. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    LA is currently continuing to experience system connectivity issues with its OneWorld partners.

However, if the LA.com website is showing Award Availability, a booking may still be possible via a Long-Sell:
    http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

10. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Do you suggest actually using the term "Long Sell" (that is, will a platinum agent understand what I'm talking about) or should I ask for manual entry?

11. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Well, that really depends on the Agent -- just keep trying, until you get a one that knows how to do it ...