How can I search for WestJet award availability?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by thrashsoundly, Jun 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since WestJet codeshares with Delta and AA, what is the best way to go about searching for award space? My wife wants to go to YYJ next year, so I'm researching all my options. Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless something has changed recently, WestJet is only a codeshare partner of DL, not a SkyMiles partner. Hence you cannot redeem DL miles for WestJet flights and the DL website would not show any award availability on WestJet flights.

If you have AA miles to use, start by checking the nature annd status of that partnership.

Or do you mean that you have WestJet miles/points to use?

thrashsoundly likes this.
  3. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have WestJet points. I thought I'd be able to use AA or DL miles for an award on WestJet flights. I guess I didn't really understand the way the codeshare works. I figured if I could purchase flights on WestJet through AA and Delta, I'd be able get an award flight as well.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. :(

There are many different levels of partnerships between airlines. Interline is the most basic, meaning they can issue tickets which cover both carriers and handle bags between each other at airports where they share operations. Codeshare is above that, as is FF reciprocity. And even within FF reciprocity the airlines have to negotiate both earning and redemption options which can happen independent of each other.

thrashsoundly likes this.
  5. West jet code shares with other carriers are a joke. You cannot use or gain points on their flights for your own principle carrier. The connections are not nearly as seamless as thye say and Westjet has no J class or flights to most secondary airports in Canada.

6. My suggestion is to convert your Delta miles into a program that ultimately allows points to be transfered to Air Canada's aeroplan program and then book with those points.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points: