How can I pay MORE for the same ticket? (Want fare class G, not Q).

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by LarryInNYC, Nov 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming trip to Brazil with a convenient flight on TAM. However, I'd like to pay $1300 to book a flight in fare class G rather than $1170 for the same seat in fare class Q (since G earns 100% with Aegean as opposed to 50% in class Q and will finish my * Gold earning there).

Short of hoping Q sells out, how can I force a purchase of the ticket into G?

2. wto605

wto605 Member

Status Points:
    Are you limited in where you can book by purchasing rules/method?

The only no-fee option I can think of is united.com, which lets you specify a specific class in the advanced search options. The trick of course is getting your desired TAM itinerary to appear there. After that your option is to call, which is likely going to involve a fee unless you can avoid it. Having airline status or a particular (usually high annual fee) credit card are the only ways I know of avoiding a fee. You could also negotiate a very low fee with a local travel agent, assuming you have your exact itinerary picked it shouldn't bee much work for them to book you.

3. wto605

wto605 Member

Status Points:
    P.S. I know you said you're crediting A3, but keep in mind that anything booked through UA (website or phone agent) will earn PQD because it's on 016 stock... if you're one of the dual-status earners for the A3 lounge access you may not want to walk away from ~1000 PQD.

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    On ITA, the same flights under the United column price at over $2800 in W, which (if the mapping carries over to TAM) is probably Q anyway.

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not chasing United status (nor any other mainline carrier). Aegean, with it's low requirement, three-year life, and (current) easy requalification rules is the only status that makes even marginal sense for me. I'll happily collect the redeemable miles after I earn out at Aegean.