How can I find a sale fare from NYC or HPN to PDX?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by thejunglerose, Feb 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. thejunglerose

thejunglerose New Member

Status Points:
    I am inexperienced in finding good deals on airfare. I need some advice from you experts,please, on how to find low prices, since my husbands family is way over on the West Coast and we have very very limited income. I try to research as much as possible, but I feel that most of the time it is way over my head as far as how to find good deals. Last year, I heard (2 days too late) about friends who found an amazingly cheap flight to Oregon and then just a couple months ago the same happened with a flight to Hawaii. What do all of these people know that I am missing? I am happy to do the legwork, if I only knew HOW. Please please help me!

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many on Milepoint can weigh in and provide useful strategies for reduced air fare searches. Be sure also to take a look at www.airfarewatchdog.com and also sign up for the route(s) that you would like to travel in the future. Best of luck!

3. thejunglerose

thejunglerose New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Yes, I use airfarewatchdog.com quite often, but the flights are still expensive. It seems like there must be a way to find out about sales before they expire. And even more than that, I want to learn the trick to discovering mistake fares in time to purchase them.

4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are three established ways of finding mistake fares.

1. Searching at the Right time. Sometimes you get really lucky.
    2. Following the MR forum on TOBB
    3. Have friends who do one of the two and then send you SMS about it.

My day job has something in the works, when its ready I can definitely let know about it, but its still baking.