How can I book Alaska Airline with another airlines miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MeeToo, Nov 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MeeToo

MeeToo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

Would anyone be willing to show me how to search for an award seat from Yakima, WA (YKM) to either AUS or SAT? I mean I have searched but not found anything, and I am trying to learn all the tricks to finding award seats.

I am trying to get my nephew home for a memorial service, so dates are not very flexible. I have
    50, 000 AA miles (in 2 accounts)
    150, 000 BA miles (in 2 accounts)
    50, 000 CO miles
    73, 000 United ( 2 accts)
    20, 000 US Airways
    50, 000 Delta
    I also have 40, 000 Southwest points

First choice dates are depart Thursday Dec 1 and return Sunday Dec 4th.

I thought of using Southwest points to get him from SEA to AUS and booking an early a.m. flight. He could get a priceline airport hotel the night before and have his family take him to airport night before. It's a long drive from SEA to YKM so I'd really like to try and get his return flight to YKM. I am still searching/working.

Appreciate any advice

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you locked into YKM, or could your nephew make it into SEA to catch a flight?

Silly me just read the bottom of your post where you have already considered SEA. I will look some more for you today, but I didn't see anything spectacular on first glance. I don't know what Southwest is pricing out at, but you can also do it those dates SEA to AUS for 25K Continental miles (albeit with a connection).

3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    One last quick idea if you can't find the reward availability, is perhaps book a reward flight on the outbound SEA to AUS and then just buy a ticket with Alaska to get him home directly to YKM. Right now it seems totally reasonable at 164 plus tax for the one-way. Good luck!

AUS [​IMG] YKM 7h 40m | Details | Seats
    Flight 1:

[​IMG]
    AUS
    6:00 pm
    SEA
    8:29 pm

Connection:

[​IMG]
    SEA
    10:55 pm
    YKM
    11:40 pm

yaychemistry likes this.
  4. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only BA, AA, and Delta are partners with Alaska (AS). I know that you can book AS awards online at both the AA and DL websites using the regular award search tools. Since your dates aren't flexible the easiest thing will be using the online booking tools to compare the cost of awards, which can be anywhere from 25,000 miles to 60,000 miles a ticket if they are available.

I believe that BA requires that you call them to book AS award tickets. I'm relatively unfamiliar with BA, but I believe I read somewhere that booking using BA miles actually uses the MileSAAver inventory - thus if AA has no availability then neither will BA.

Chances are you already checked online, though. In that case, AS does offer a bereavement discount.
    Here are the details from Jenn:
    These must be booked over the phone at 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522) .

5. MeeToo

MeeToo Silver Member

Status Points:
    @mommypoints - Hey! I read your blog!
    @yaychemistry and mommypoints - thanks for the insight/help

I am trying to get by with as little out of pocket $$ as possible. What I love about SW is this can be canxd for no penalty. I have to coordinate these plans with nephew and his job, so at this point can’t pull the trigger on an award ticket (or paid) unless it’s cancelleable or changeable.

I found this and booked it with points.
    Dec 1 SEA to AUS on Southwest for $130 or 6,540 points +$5.00
    depart 6:45 a.m. arrive AUS 3:25 p.m.

For the return, nothing on AA from AUS on Dec 4th. But for 25K found a SAT to YKM and it’s a Business/First/MileSaver. I don’t mind coughing up the points, and I think it would be fun to fly him first class. There are lots of flights to choose from in that class for those points, but it looks like its half AA and half AS. So, don’t know if it would be all that of a FC experience for him. All flights arrive YKM at 11:40 p.m. so it might be just as well to book the return all on AS for $164 that Mommypoints mentioned. Maybe see if the will discount for bereavement. Going to call now

yaychemistry likes this.
  6. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    You might also want to consider flying out of the Tri-Cities (Airport code: PSC). It's only 90 minutes away from Yakima and it's served directly by Alaska (Horizon), Delta Connection and United Express. That gives you more options for AA and DL miles.

Also, United and Continental miles can be be combined and since US Airways is in the Star Alliance you can also use US miles for that route as well.

7. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 25K American miles in First is a good option if you would rather use miles than dollars - though four flights to get home from SAT to YKM will make for an interesting afternoon for him, but it keeps you from having to spend cash. :) Being at the front of the plane will also make it a bit more tolerable. Looks like you are on the right track!

yaychemistry likes this.
  8. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I would agree, although I would check which aircraft on the itinerary actually have a first class cabin. SEA-YKM is for certain a Q400 turboprop, which has no first class seats (although I really enjoy flying the Alaska Q400s as they offer free local beer/wine for all passengers - hooray for Alaskan Amber). The SAT-DFW flight may not have first class seats either so it's worth checking before booking. Although, those two flights are both relatively short so it may not matter -- it's really up to personal preference. The DFW-SEA flight certainly has first class whether its operated by AS or AA.

9. MeeToo

MeeToo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The longest leg is PHX-SEA on Alaska Airlines. It says Cabin First, booking code A. Wonder what FC is like on that leg?

10. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    PHX-SEA is on a 737, which has a fairly standard domestic F cabin. There's no built in video entertainment, but F passengers get the digEplayer, which is a portable video player with a bunch of movies loaded on it. The list of movies is here: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/on-board/digEplayer.aspx

You probably won't get a full meal on the flight, but you'll still get a fruit and cheese plate, or something similar - and all the booze or non-alcoholic beverages you can drink.

Some of the complaints I have heard against AS F is that they don't offer a pre-departure beverage and they're big sticklers for the "door closed = electronics off" policy. IMHO those are fairly minor nitpicks by people who get to fly First class a lot. I've only flown F a few times in my life, and only once on AS. It was ages ago on a flight to Juneau and I certainly enjoyed it - though I probably didn't take advantage of it as much as I should have. If your nephew has never flown in F I'm sure he'll be blown away! Half of the fun is checking in at the F-counter and the priority security and boarding lines too.

11. MeeToo

MeeToo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. I did also look at Delta and PSC but decided on the Southwest and AA itinerary, just for kicks.

yaychemistry likes this.
  12. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Hope he enjoys the pointy end of the airplane!