How can a short person get good sleep on a long-haul flight?

Discussion in 'SeatExpert' started by @SeatExpert, Jan 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. @SeatExpert

@SeatExpert News Feed

Status Points:
    Typically, it is the taller passengers who write in with tales of sleepless travel woe. And it is often you PPs (Petite Passengers) who sympathize, but cannot empathize, as you stretch your little legs and recline into peaceful slumberland.
    So, thank you for writing in with the other side of the story.
    There are several rows in economy class on the Emirates 777-300ER three-class configuration with potentially off-placed windows. The rows that give you the best chance of getting the window placement you are seeking are probably the following: 18, 20, 33, 35, 38, or 43.
    While choosing a window seat in any of these rows might offer you a bit more support for your head and neck, we’re going to go ahead and recommend a product for you that you should really consider purchasing (and no, we don’t make any money if you do) – the Komfort Kollar.
    After reading numerous accolades from frequent flyers posting all over the Internet, a SeatExpert staff member tried it out on a long-haul flight and, lo and behold, the thing actually works. The wrap-around design noticeably improves head and neck support when compared to one of those standard U-shaped neck support devices found at nearly every airport shop.
    The Komfort Kollar, or another similar product, of which there are several, could be just the thing to help you get the rest you need on your long flight. And it could open up the entire economy class cabin for your traveling pleasure.

Continue reading...

2. baglady
    Original Member

baglady Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there isn't a foot rest (or you can't reach the foot rest in front of you), dangling legs or legs that can't comfortably rest on the ground can be an issue. I've used my carry on as a footrest and it makes a real difference in comfort and condition of your legs when you land.

secretsea18, kellio and Jamie like this.
  3. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. As a short person (5'2"), I find the my legs can get very tired if I don't put them up a bit. So, I tend to use my carry on as a foot stool. That's why I like to have the bulkhead seat in F. Bag fits incomfortably and I still have room to move. It's especially good on red-eyes as I can put a pillow on top of it, and can just about have a make-shift bed!

4. I am sure it has some name, but I saw a lady pull out an itty bitty fold up footrest from her carryon. I like to have my feet propped a bit but I wouldn't waste valued packing space with a tool I would only used on relatively short haul domestic flights if I could just use my backpack as a makeshift footrest.

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  5. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never flown an international flight in coach, but living in Seattle means long flights in domestic first, which isn't a lot different than coach. I am 5' 5" which is short these days and always sit in row 1--1A if possible--so I can put my feet up when they get tired.

It is so amazingly easy to get spoiled. We are flying on award tickets, Split/Seattle in LH first in July and at the moment can't get the direct FRA/SEA. I'll keep trying as I can't bear the thought of having to switch to UA first ORD/SEA knowing how lovely it would be to fly LH first all the way FRA/SEA.

6. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too! I find that my legs can start to get really jittery after not touching the floor for a long flight. I almost bought one of these at a travel store a couple of months ago, but I can't bring myself to commit to another carry-on item. Anybody out there use one? http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Airplane-Foot-Rest-BackRelax/dp/B000AXTU62

7. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many airlines' 747s (BA, Virgin for sure, maybe others) have a few rows in the back where there are only two seats instead of 3 on the outboard sections due to the the fuselage taper. The first one of these rows has a large space between the "middle" seat and the window and is far enough from the lav not to be a problem. It's a bit more private and you've got some space to spread out.

Some airlines (El Al on some planes) have a storage compartment in that space for baby cribs and such. It's about armrest height and is even better than the space, since you can sort of lean on it to sleep.

8. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm short, often in exit rows on longhaul, and I too really want a place to rest my feet. I looked at an inflatable foot rest and the folding device above. Too much money/weight (the device above weighs almost a pound). My international carry-ons are usually a 22" rollaboard (too big for a footrest) and a small rucksack (not enough).

So...I ended up getting an inflatable beach ball. Cheap, very lightweight. I inflate it about halfway - it doesn't roll around if I'm in the exit row, easier to move around if I'm not in the exit row and I want it out of the way so I can get out of my seat. Yes, it looks a little dumb (but I think the neck pillows do too, but they certainly can make a difference).

jemmazee likes this.