How best to utilize miles - 2014 flight to Uganda hoping for stop over in Europe

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cjneil, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cjneil

cjneil Member

I am a new member and this forum already has helped me greatly! I appreciate your help and knowledge so much. This is a multi-layer question and I don't really know where to begin but will give you the nuts and bolts. I am involved with a charity that is in Uganda and I will be returning for my 2nd trip in 2014 (any time Sept-Dec). My last trip was brutal with flights on KLM expanded coach SEA-AMS, 2 hr layover then AMS - NBO 1 hr layover then NBO-EBB. I'd like to have some more comfort s next time with at least one leg each direction in business class and hopefully stop over in Europe anywhere for as long as possible in either direction.

MVP status on Alaska
    160,000 current mileage

Any suggestions on how best to structure something like this? One 10 hour flight in expanded coach is doable but the 24 hours was painful. Is it better to buy the flight and use miles to upgrade? Are stopovers allowed on any Alaska partner airline? Any thoughts are most appreciated. I know this will take some work and planning to accomplish, I just don't know where to start!

Thank you again so much!