how are you cashing in your hilton points

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by strangevine, Jan 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. strangevine

strangevine Silver Member

Status Points:
    so i stay in alot of hiltons, and as such rack up a decent amount of hilton points. I find, however, that I always "waste" these points by spending a ton of them for just 1 night in a somewhat decent hotel.

Am I missing something? Does hilton offer some kind of vacation package using points?

2. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are missing a lot. For starter you get a massive discount on long stays (known as VIP-only or GLON) which can save up to 25% of the points required. If you have the (free or paid) Amex card you are entitled to AXON reward which can save you 15% on top of that (or 27% compared to regular redemption).

EDIT TO CLARIFY: The GLON gives you a max of 25%, the additional 15% that the AXON gives is on the 4 night redemption rate which is 15%.

The GLON awards are good for 4 nights or more and for category 3 or up.
    The AXON awards are good for exactly 4 nights and good for category 5* through 7.

* Note that for category 5, AXON is more expensive than GLON

Hilton also have vacation packages but I am not sure they will be considered a better redemption.

Switch2, luv2travel, Toula and 4 others like this.
  3. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you stay 6 plus nights in a cat 7 hotel it drops the nightly rate from 50k per night to just 37.5k per night. this helps with the week long trips a bunch

nime01, Toula, alohastephen and 2 others like this.
  4. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a scheduled stay at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando for 6 nights that I got at 37.5K per night (25% off), but I also have the HHonors AMEX card. Should I be asking for another 15% off of what I already got? I wasn't aware of this extra 15%...

5. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AXON reward is good for exactly 4 nights (no more, no less). So the decision is whether to break the booking into two separate booking (4 night and 2 nights):

6 nights GLON award will be 225,000 points
    4 nights AXON award will be 145,000 points + 2 nights regular redemption 100,000 points = 245,000 points

Therefore it is not worth it (assuming three are still "standards" room available).

The AXON is extremely good value - but only for exactly 4 days. It works for me because this is about the time I tend to stay in one place.

mrredskin, nime01, Toula and 6 others like this.
  6. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense. It looks like I'd only be saving 7.5K points over the 6 nights - if it didn't have the 4 night limitation - and since I already spent a boatload of points for this stay, I'm not concerned about that small number of points. I'm just glad to have the 25% off.

Now I just have to work my magic at the desk, letting them know this is our first anniversary trip, my b-day weekend, and we got married at Disney. (And I'm HH Gold) That should get me at least a small upgrade, if not a terrific one.

Thanks for the info!

nime01, Toula, alohastephen and 2 others like this.
  7. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't hold your breath. But a smile and Please, certainly couldn't hurt.;)

nime01, uggboy, Casey Friday and 3 others like this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You might also want to send a note to the GM a couple of weeks prior to your trip. I have found that it helps (at times).

9. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FT has a good sticky in the Hilton section that gives full details on the codes and how to book. Its a good resource if you know nothing about it like me.

nime01, alohastephen and uggboy like this.
  12. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    VIP Rewards for Silver, Gold or Diamond Members

Going Global: Now Stay Up to 14 Nights!

Enjoy your HHonors rewards virtually anywhere you travel. Now you can use your HHonors points for a fantastic vacation package across the globe. From Dublin to Durban, New York to Nanjing, Hilton HHonors has the place for you.

Select from four to fourteen free nights for two at participating Category 7 Hilton Worldwide hotels.
    170,000 to 525,000 points per stay

Select from four to fourteen free nights for two at participating Waldorf=Astoria Collection hotels.
    170,000 to 840,000 points per stay

Select from four to fourteen free nights for two at participating Hilton Worldwide hotels*.
    *Excludes Category 7 HHonors hotels, applicable to Category 1 to 6 hotels.
    102,000 to 420,000 points per stay

nime01, uggboy and Casey Friday like this.
  13. strangevine

strangevine Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks everyone for the tips. helpful stuff. I don't tend to take long vacations or stay in one place for an extended amount of time, so I may look into the AMEX program in addition to a GLON benefit. Cheers.

nime01, alohastephen, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  14. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've already sent a couple emails to my "personal concierge", and the service is quite literally unbelievable. Just fantastic. I get the feeling that the concierge has less to do with the room itself, and more to do with the accommodations/special services.

I'll see if I can find the GM's email and send an email over to increase my chances even more. I'm all about exhausting all of my resources!

nime01, alohastephen and uggboy like this.
  15. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a sense that with the new premium awards the point stretcher will go away. However, I am not sure it will make any actual difference. If I have to guess, I would say that the hotels with point stretcher had low occupancy that would have translated to low $$ rates. With the new premium awards, the point required also translates to $$ rate. So if the rate is low one would be able to get premium rooms at lower point cost (below the standard level). It probably never going to be as good as the point stretcher - but to be honest it was a nice to have feature that I never used. I redeem my points in location that would never (or very very very rarely) will see a point stretcher, such as major cities or major vacation destination (thus the rare comment above).

nime01 and uggboy like this.
  16. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Namely, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...reward-options-axon-glon-everything-else.html

IMO, the single most useful section is the all-rewards comparison chart at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ard-options-axon-glon-everything-else.html#14. Then again, as the author I am hardly an objective observer.
    PS is dead. See section 5 of the FT thread noted above.

17. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great Posts on Axon vs VIP and a really great chart in the link. Thanks for the info. Planning a Hawaii trip this summer paid for by United Hilton and Marriott. This helps a lot

Casey Friday and TAHKUCT like this.
  18. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there last month for 4 nights and am returning this week. During my stay, the service was fantastic from the moment I checked in until the time I left ( and I didn't even have a special occasion to celebrate). I'm sure they will make your stay memorable. Have a great time and let us know how your trip goes.

Casey Friday likes this.
  19. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I read your trip report / peeped the pics, and it got me even more excited than I already was. They are accommodating all of our food allergies, which is quite amazing. I'll have a trip report of my own when we get back!

Horse likes this.
  20. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, these are the best Hilton award redemptions. I try to redeem my HHonors points for Cat 7 Hilton hotels that would cost $350 or more a night. I do find the Waldorf awards to be steeply priced when they can be as high as 80,000 points per night, but I think there are discounts for these of 6 nights or more as well, but you have to call the HHonors desk to book them.

21. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do about the same thing -- for example, I used a Diamond force to book a full Hilton the night of a major sporting event and got a room with a rate of about $300 for 25,000 points.

DTWBOB

22. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use Hiltons a lot in small towns and cities. Yes these are not awesome, but in most cases they are Cat 1 or 2 with a going rate of ~$150 (including taxes). So, I get >1c/pt with these redemptions.

icurhere2 likes this.
  23. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the others above. When redeeming, I go for expensive properties and long stays. Things I couldn't pay for out of my own pocket. This year, my choice is a week at Conrad Tokyo. With rates easily at or more that $450 a night, I think it's a great deal.

chitownflyer likes this.
  24. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A great choice. I stayed at the Tokyo Hilton in Shinjuku, and I really liked its location and the easing walking distance to the Park Hyatt for evening drinks.

25. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I considered the Hilton as well. I was going to ask the MP community for input before actually booking. I'm trying to get a friend of mine to go with me and she lived in Tokyo so I'll have no problems getting around.