How are things on the labor front for 2011?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by J.Edward, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few days ago I was heading over to DEN on COCO for a somewhat tight onwards connection -- however once everyone had boarded and gotten settled we had a delay as a good number of bags had not yet been loaded due to some foul up with the IAH baggage system.

Thinking it would be 15-25m delay I sat in my bulkhead seat listening to chatter from the galley where the FAs were commenting on the lack of hot water as the pre-departure coffees that my fellow F passengers had requested could not be fulfilled.

As soon as they got the bags loaded the pilot announces a MX delay for the water system at which point I excused myself to the top of the jetway to discuss alternate routes with the GA. While we were working on rebooking my ticket, the GA [​IMG] at the pilot for waiting till the last second to report the water issue commenting on that if he had simply called it when we started boarding it would have probably been fixed, or at the least MX would have been there working on it during our delay for the bags. However, seeing as he waited until after the bags were loaded to report it, the delay would not be longer (and the FAs were aware of the issue from pre-boarding since they could not accommodate the coffee requests, so one would assume they let the flight deck crew know as soon as they discovered the issue.)

Anyways the reason I mention this is because I'm curious as to if anyone knows what kind of mood labor, especially ALPA, is in right now. Obviously I don't think too much can be read into what happened to me on my flight, but it does raise the question in the back of my mind if the pilots/GAs/FAs/handlers/etc. are planning on any kind of (un)official action in the near future.

2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't those people from airport ops, etc, not flight crews? Very sad to see this is happening, but it's a merger.. I guess this was a change we were supposed to like? :mad:

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, these are folks from CO HQ on Smith Street in downtown Houston. Think finance, ops planning, etc. All the roles that overlap with existing infrastructure at UA HQ in Chicago.

6. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't surprise me if the CO pilots are more annoyed about the rather un-subtle attempt to completely bypass the scope clause in their contract by using United Express carriers out of legacy CO hubs.

7. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW....My GF was on the crew bus last week in DEN when it took 30 minutes to get to the terminal (due to the snow). All of the FA's on the bus were talking about the merger and Smisek. Needless to say, they weren't exactly happy campers with him. I guess the Honeymoon is over for Jeff with some people. Maybe they will be asking for Glenn to come back!! [​IMG]

FriendlySkies likes this.
  8. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but my point was that, in general, things are starting to heat up.

9. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that this will be an area to watch....the pilots and the scope clause.

On the layoff front, probably some of these are folks that aren't interested in moving even if there were a job in Chicago for them?

10. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    More than likely. I'm assuming people are re-interviewing for their positions and if they are chosen, being given the opportunity to relocate.

11. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's my understanding that all management folks at both airlines in all stations have to re-interview. [​IMG] Given how the airline industry goes (and compensation), for many it might not make sense for the CO employee to relocate as the s/o might make more money than.the person being laid off.

12. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was shocked that CO management thought it could get away with the UX scope clause thing. As far as management is concerned, everyone had to re-interview. I'd be surprised if the number of management j[​IMG]bs cut from the current CO work force on Smith St. was limited to 500.

13. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They specifically say in the letter that more may be coming.

14. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd read 'may' as 'will.' [​IMG]

15. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO F/A's or UA F/A's? Most UA flight attendants I have spoken with are somewhat optimistic about Jeff, while their COunterparts are almost universally angry over the merger and their capo di tutti capi. Understandable, but the difference in sentiment between the two workforces is very interesting.

16. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, UA F/A's

17. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I overheard from some UA FA's that many CO FA's are seriously considering a sick-out sometime this month in protest over some of the actions that have been taken so far.

18. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Idle galley chat, lots of big talk up there, little action.

I heard two talking and one said: pfffft I am not doing anything the Union doesn't have a backbone they just want my money outta my paycheck, they don't care about me.

A deadheading pilot heard that and said: 'hey it's worth a try to get some of the good rules back, you should reconsider'....

Seems the ALPA guys are right now, quite fed up. But surprisingly he was welcoming to the Q400 coming into IAH, which was a bit odd to me.