How are the exit seats on CO 737s?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Exleftseat, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Exleftseat
    Original Member

Exleftseat Active Member

Status Points:
    I was asking about exit seats on the CO 757 in another thread and had to learn that the exit row on that type is maybe close to the E+ experience, certainly nothing like UAs exit seats on a 757.
    I have a couple of CO domestic legs on their 737s, 737-800 and 737-900. Now I am getting nervous. How is the exit row situation there? Cramped as well? Let's say in comparison to the UA buses?

2. In my experience the CO 737 exit row seats are a bit narrower than the equivalent UA seat.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that the basis for your concern - that the CO 752s are "cramped" in the exit row - is not so much a reality. The exit rows on the 752/738/9/Es are 38" pitch, I believe. If that's going to be too cramped for you then I'm not sure what the solution is.

4. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    BBJ
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ygor and dwhotz like this.
  5. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have recently flown in several exit rows on CO 737-700s and 737-800s and found them to jbe just fine. Plenty of space to work and cross your legs without worrying about the seat in front of you. There's not quite enough space to get out of the window seat without disturbing the aisle and window passengers. The tray tables are attached to the seat in front of you (rather than in the armrest) which I like.

Most importantly the seat cushion length in the CO exit rows is sufficient, unlike the short cushions in the exit rows of the AA 738-800.

The CO seats on 737s and 757s are narrower than the seats on UA Airbuses because the Boeing narrowbodies have a smaller fuselage cross section than the Airbuses do.

Also IIRC on at least one plane the forward exit for (row 20) had more legroom than the aft exit row (row 21).

6. Exleftseat
    Original Member

Exleftseat Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, I take this any day. So it seems it's not as bad as was described in another thread. Thanks all. I will stay in the exit seats then.

7. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    21C is my seat of choice in Y FWIW
    unless I have a short connection, in which case it is 7 or 8 C and D

8. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And harder, too. [​IMG]

While the OP did not specifically mention the 735's, please note for educational purposes that the exit rows on the 735's have no extra legroom. 21A & F have no seats in front of them, so the legroom is eeeeeendless.

mht_flyer likes this.
  9. dwhotz
    Original Member

dwhotz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ran into that problem once...the GA was nice and gave me an exit row seat...with no extra legroom.

10. I've had that happen as well. I'll take an aisle seat in the front any day over the exit row on the 735.

11. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I'll take another flight, just to avoid the 735. :D

Ygor likes this.
  12. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Window seat cushions at exit rows are a bit thinner to accommodate clearance with the door sill. This makes an already-firm seat cushion nearly unbearable.

Tip: Board early and swap out the middle seat cushion! :p

13. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be on a 735 in a few weeks and wondering about the seating situation. 21A/F are already booked, so I'm left with 7A/F, 12C as options, or a bunch of windows as options. As I understand it, 21A/F are the only exit row seats worth booking on this particular bird. How are 7A/F? Do they have underseat storage with the F seats in front? Seatguru and Seatexpert aren't any help answering this question. Should I jump on one of those, or stick with 12C? Honestly, legroom is not critical for me as I'm 5'9", but it is always appreciated!

14. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the arm rest was noticeably shorter on the 739 in the exit row. Made it very awkward to share with your neighbor. It also meant you rested your elbow on the TV control and kept switching channels.

15. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would jump on them. Good legroom and underseat storage with the F seats in front.

gobluetwo likes this.
  16. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, took 7F :)

17. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing about Row 7 seats are that they’re narrower than the other ones to accommodate the tray in the armrest, since there’s no seat in front of you for a pull-down. Also, the window seats by the exit door can get a bit chilly around the feet because of the nearness to the door; additionally, you may not be able to put your legs out straight because of the hump in the door for the slide, which comes into the cabin area a bit; you’ll have to angle them a touch.

Also, just so you’re aware on the 757’s, there’s no carry-on baggage space above the exit row seats on the A-C side (left side if you’re sitting). They have an inflatable raft up there, so you’ll have to put your things across the aisle, or in front or in back of the row.

gobluetwo likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The member was talking about a 735, not a 753. :-:

No slide nor door at row 7.

19. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, realized later. I am overdue for an eye checkup, especially after all the time I spend looking at MP thread screens!

However, depending on the configuration of 738, and also with the 739, which the member did reference, row 7, and seat 7F, brought up by a different member (see posts 13 & 16 above), might have the narrower seats due to tray tables in the armrests, which is how I started off my post. So, not entirely irrelevant.

And, since the 757 was referred to in the 1st sentence, just thought I’d add in about leg and carry-on space, should the member ever face that situation. Forewarned is forearmed, no?