How are the Biz Seats on Air France's A380

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by Punki, Feb 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are looking for an award flight from Rome to Seattle using Alaska miles. So far all we can find are BA flights, for which they charge a fortune, and AF. Any other ideas? I tried KLM through Amsterdam, but there were no biz or first seats available for the time we want to fly.

Are the new A380 biz seats really angle/lay flat seats? Are they comfortable? Somewhere I heard or read that the bulk head seats should be avoided. What's the story?

You input is appreciated. Thank you!

gregm likes this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew A380 on the JFK-CDG route two years ago. Yes, they are at a slight incline though flat.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The A380 should be OK, but watch out for AF 2-3-2 seating configurations in longhaul business class. Within Europe, their business class is regular coach seating in front of the curtain with the middle seats blocked (but IME without a table or physical obstacle to prevent their use) and hot meals depending on route and schedule.

You probably can't get an award ticket in IFC without being an AF elite and using AF miles, but their IFC check in area and dedicated IFC lounge at CDG (as well as IFC ground handling there) is excellent.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't unique to AF, all European airlines have their intra-Europe J this way.

You definitely can't get AF F unless you're Flying Blue elite. There was a relatively brief period where it was possible to get AF F without being FB elite, but that was a mistake, apparently (according to Lucky, who had a post about it a little while ago).

gregm likes this.
  5. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is 2-2-2 seating on the long-haul CDG/LAX. What do you know about the bulkhead seats?

We aren't particularly concerned about the ROM/CDG flight and what you describe sounds typical of all business class flights within Europe.

I am assuming that IFC is an acronym for International First Class. Correct? You are probably right as it didn't show up anywhere when I search the flights available using AS miles.

gregm likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    If its an A380, the best Biz seats are rows 60-64 on the upper deck. That portion of the cabin is separated from the rest of the Biz cabin aft. I just flew CDG-JFK (January 22nd) in seat 61L. (Second row, window.) The bulkhead seats give you direct aisle access, without climbing over your rowmate, but the IFE screens are smaller than the other non-bulkhead rows as they fold in/retract/stow in the seat side. That's the only difference. I wouldn't avoid them unless screen size is a huge issue for you. The AF Biz seat don't lie flat, but close to it.

As MSPeconomist said, AF does not give out the IFC seats as an upgrade....ever! Not unless a high-status Flying Blue member. After the 9 IFC pax board, you're not even allowed to go down those forward stairs. I also agree about the AF lounge.....excellent food, all day long.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You *might* be able to get an AF IFC award ticket with lots of KE miles. Supposedly you cannot use DL miles because DL doesn't offer IFC on its own flights (SkyTeam rule). IIRC, in SkyTeam CZ and perhaps also MU offer IFC.

AF passengers in business class exCDG on flights that do not have IFC are sometimes offered the opportunity to purchase their IFC ground handling, including special check in and lounge, for lots of money.

8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot I had some pics. First...First and.
    IMG_3594.JPG
    IMG_3597.JPG
    Biz, upper deck..
    IMG_3596.jpg

AttorneyVin likes this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a couple more....the upper deck foreword lounge...

IMG_3598.JPG

And viewing the tail cam.

IMG_3600.JPG

Attached Files:

AttorneyVin likes this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you can't. You have to be Flying Blue elite.

11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the input.

We just rebooked ROM/CDG in biz with a two-night layover in Paris, then CDG/SFO on a Boeing 777-200ER (772) Four Class plane in biz, and SFO/SEA in first. Is the 772 a mistake?

We can still change it. One of the things I love about AS is that you can make free changes up to 60 days prior to your flight.

gregm likes this.
  12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just remember that AF Biz on the 772 has middle seats. Middle seats in Biz....as far as I'm concerned,an oxymoron. Ugh.

13. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, someone had told me about the middle seats so we reserved seats 2 K&L. We won't have to worry about middle seats.

I still check periodically to see if something I like better pops up, but we can live with what we have.

Before we booked the cruise associated with this trip we had booked a week at Whistler Mountain. We are currently staying in the same unit we had booked for Thanksgiving and it is amazing. So amazing that I am thinking of canceling, or rebooking, the trip to the Mediterranean so we can stay here and ski over Thanksgiving. The only problem is that we got such a smoking deal on the cruise that I would lose $1,600 if I cancelled and rebooked. I hate to lose out on smoking deals.

gregm likes this.
  14. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, these will be some of the first planes to be modified with the new first and new business class products. This was supposed to be starting September 2014.

LINK to Air France new Business Class
    and VIDEO

IMO, this new international long-haul product is quite competitive with other SkyTeam long haul products, such as Delta and Alitalia. (of course, don't get me started on KLM)

15. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was very unimpressed with the AF biz seats. They didn't lie flat and felt like the old UA biz seats. Fortunately there was a very light load so I was able to snag enough extra pillows to get my feet more or less level with my head when lying down. While I don't care much for Air France, it was worth it to go to Paris. :) Our next long haul is SYD/LAX on UA in biz. I like the new UA biz seats even better than their first seats because we can be side by side and very cozy.

daninstl likes this.