How are people dealing with Amex not honoring Bonus IDs?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Quasiconvexity, Sep 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the Amex Business Gold Rewards a few weeks back and had the 6608 Bonus code notated on my account (unfortunately not via SM). As has been the case with many others recently, Amex refused to honor it when I called recently and requested the points. I am sure there are others in the same boat so I thought I would start this thread to see if we can exchange useful information about how best we can approach this further with American Express. It is one thing to deny it the first time (claiming you are not targeted), but given that they agreed to honor it initially, their walking back on their commitment now is not a great way to deal with this, IMO.

If you have any thoughts on possible strategies, please share here. I am thinking about contacting them on Twitter to see if that evokes a response.

2. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may have better luck calling the AMEX executive offices at 212 640 2000 and making your case.

Companies also monitor social media aggressively, so tweeting about it wouldn't hurt.

3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did try that but unfortunately drew a blank there as well. I see reports on FlyerTalk about Amex now honoring accounts that had been notated prior to the shutdown, so I have my fingers crossed that my SM will generate a successful response.

traveler, alohastephen and jmrich1432 like this.
  4. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm dealing with it by cutting up five of our AmEx cards and sending them to AmEx with a letter noting that I don't think too highly of a company that does not keep its promises. :) Fortunately, I got all of my MR bump-points prior to the crackdown. However, my wife was promised 5K SPG points if she hit $4500 spend on a 10K/15K SPG card. Not even going to bother trying to hit spend with them reneging on their promises.

5. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    :( Got a message from Amex saying that they weren't going to credit me the bonus offer. It's one thing to say that you don't qualify for an offer up front, it's totally different to promise a bonus that has you using their card and then not deliver.
    (in my most maternal tone of voice) Amex, I'm disappointed in you.

6. bluemilepoint

bluemilepoint Active Member

Status Points:
    Maybe this will help...

This happened to me on the business Amex card. I had already received 75k on the personal card and had met the spending requirement on the business card but when secure messaging them for 75k points on business, they said told me that even though it is notated on my account, I dont qualify. I then replied and said, "Well, your company representative had it notated on my account, and now you are saying I dont qualify. It does not sound like your company have it together, with reps saying all kind of things and not being on the same page. This could also be viewed as a marketing scheme, using one department reps to recruit folks such as myself to use card, and then have another department saying 'no'".

Immediately, the next day, the card was credited with a 75k.

Hope that helps

7. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've started "chasing my bonus points". I am starting at the easiest place - SM. I have been told no once already by SM (no surprise), and have asked that they pull the tapes/and or escalate the issue to the appropriate department. Next will be a phone call to MR directly, followed by a phone call to the executive offices. I am hoping to get lucky and have it resolved "easily", but I have no faith that will happen based on otherss experiences.

I plan to blog all about it one way or another very soon. Hopefully with a happy ending, but we will see.

8. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Please keep us updated. I hit a wall with Amex, not to mention terribly rude CSRs.

traveler and alohastephen like this.
  9. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem - that really stinks that you hit a wall even with their exec offices. Most seem to be having some degree of success there. Did they have any specific reason why they won't work with you at all? Did you ask them to review the tapes of the calls you made where you were promised the points?

I'm not hopefully that this will be an easy process.

alohastephen likes this.
  10. Confusion over bonus ids 6661 and 6664. Each CSR reads rules/regs from ever-changing script.. Diff scripts on same day, depending on CSR.. A MR manager named "Josh" (972) area code contacted me by phone, left a return number and extension that was not even reachable. Apparently did not have a direct dial number. More troubling is that each bonus ID was "notated" on my account mid-August, but now upon review of my account, 1 of the notations either was never notated or has been removed. Certain CSRs are stating that 6661 and 6664 cannot be combined, while other say "targeted", while others just aren't sure, but can't be bothered to find out the real rules.. Good luck in your quest and please post updates. Also tried @askamex who ultimately route you back thru SM. SM for me is always India and always answers "NO" to every request

11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had luck getting my miles from Secure Message after my account was notated and the miles never posted.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  12. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten neg'd two times via SM and once after tweeting @AskAmex and being routed again through SM. I'm going to keep chipping away at it, one SM at a time.

13. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have been dinged on SM, over the phone and once with the corporate office as well. Thinking of trying the fax route next. Time to form a support group, people!

traveler and DeltaExpert like this.
  14. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think sometimes we go too far demanding satisfaction for mistakes, errors, and miscommunication. I'm surprised no one is asking for additional miles for all the "inconvenience" they have suffered.

DeltaExpert and estnet like this.
  15. agape2travel
    Original Member

agape2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have given up. I had a secure message promising my bonus points if I made 15 purchases in a month (10,000 points) plus I had 2 phone calls to verify the secure message. When it came time to credit me the bonus points AMX refused. I sent two secure messages asking why and their response was 'sorry'. I got the same reply when I called. Overall, I'm very disappointed in AMX.

16. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just gonna cut my wrists.....

Oh wait maybe I'll just cut my amex cards and tell them to shove it...

Only problem there is that I actually greatly benefit from my Amex play for many reasons aside from free bonus points, so while they won't be getting any more quick large spend from me for bonuses, I will still very much value all the benefits I've reaped from my plat card over the past 10 years.

alohastephen and Quasiconvexity like this.
  17. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I received a letter in the mail informing me that they hadnt found any evidence that I was originally slated to receive the points so they are not awarding me any. I think I am giving up at this point - you win some, you lose some. It has soured me on Amex, but I dont think I have the energy to push this any further.

traveler and joesmoe like this.
  18. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the same letter. Disappointing.

I love the benefits on my Amex cards so I won't be closing my accounts. But I also won't be recommending them so enthusiastically anymore.

joesmoe and Quasiconvexity like this.
  19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had signed up for Premier Rewards Gold and had them add the bonus code for 75k, they then gave me 25k (which is odd since the bonus from my original application was 15k). Taken 3 runs at it so far, denied 3 times. This week I get an offer in the mail for 50k. I'm going to at least ask them to honor that.

joesmoe likes this.
  20. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering cancelling my Amex PRG. Chase sapphire is giving me a lot of reason to stick with them, amex is not.

joesmoe likes this.
  21. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I spend way too much on airfare and groceries to drop that Amex. ;)

joesmoe likes this.
  22. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Initially, I had the same thought... but, groceries now go on the Hilton Amex. Gas goes on my Penfed 5% CB Visa. And airfare (+all travel) goes on the sapphire (or for some airlines, on the airline card such as AA), which gets 2x (but not 3x I realize) points. But the ability to transfer to UA is huge for me; Amex MR no longer has any partner other than BA which interests me (and even that may change very shortly as we all know).

Plus the annual fee is almost half. And while there is no annual 15K bonus, there is the 7% that doesn't require a 30k threshold.

IMO, the Sapphire card is very clearly targeting Amex Gold account holders, and is doing a pretty superb job in luring them away. If they add another 1 or 2 high value partners, and start offering the occasional transfer bonus... the deal is going to get sealed.

joesmoe and Quasiconvexity like this.
  23. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just cancelled my biz gold. They gave me 50 instead of 100k, and I don't really use the card (I'll still be keeping my personal plat, irrespective of if I get the points or not).

There was over 50k spend on that gold card in the less than 6 months I had it, I was hoping they would take that into consideration for the bump, but it doesn't seem so.

24. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too had a "committment" of 10K for 15 transactions from August. I was told I could only get it honored for 2 months since I already had the card for 3 months. Once I heard they were "backing out" of honoring this I called in September. I was told that it was extensively noted on my account and that I would definitely get it but I had to wait till October to have it manually credited. So I reached that date and called. They didn't say NO, but they didn't say yes. They said that someone would get back to me in 10 days with a decision on whether I would get the miles or not. And I would receive that decision in writing. Very interesting. In this case I will be very frustrated if I do not receive it since it had been discussed and confirmed with me 2 months in a row. If they say "no" then I am going to wait till all my currently earned points post then transfer them out and cancel the card closer to the year anniversary. I plan on going back to a Starwood SPG Am Ex for my Costco purchases....and then stick with my Sapphire for everything else..

25. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am doing pretty much the same. The new Amex cards will be cancelled before the first anniversary and it will be back to my trusty SPG Amex and the new Sapphire (which is fast proving to be a winner).

traveler likes this.