How are miles counted when flying on a partner airline?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by misterbwong, Nov 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

Let's say I'm trying to fly from LAX to TPE on USAirways (operated by Air China) but using the Aegean M&B FF program. Do I need to look at the USAirways accrual chart or the Air China accrual chart on the Aegean chart page to figure out how many miles I'll earn? I ask because USAirways gets 100% accrual on all coach booking codes whereas Air China gets 50% on some and 100% on others.

Thanks!

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about the Aegean program... the mileage you accrue will be based on the fare you book. I 'think' that it's based on operating carrier vice the carrier's flight #...hopefully someone else can chime in....

misterbwong and cennas like this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The actual operator of the flight (the metal that you are one) determines your miles. So if you are on Air China, you look on A3's earnings chart for Air China. Be a hawk for these miles to post. you are on a US flight #, operated by air china, posting to yet a 3rd airline. Many times you have to request the miles to be posted. Most likely, they will not post automatically since something is bound to get lost in translation.

rwoman, misterbwong and cennas like this.
  4. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! All these rules and gotchas are making my head spin....

rwoman likes this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wouldn't be fun it it was easy!

rwoman likes this.
  6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll just note for others who might find this thread that this rule is not universal. For instance, with Delta SkyMiles, the marketing carrier governs earning, with the caveat that SkyTeam-Marketed flights must be operated by a SkyTeam airline to earn miles. DL flight number operated by KLM uses DL earning rates. AF flight number operated by KE uses AF earning rates. KL flight number operated by non-SkyTeam carrier MH earns zip in SkyMiles.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    In your scenario, you need to look at the US->CA Codeshare Booking Class Translation table and only then look at the CA->A3 Accrual Chart on the A3 website.

Unfortunately, the former is not available to the public, so the question of "how many miles you'll earn" cannot be [easily] answered in advance.