How are Airlines Policing Their Wi-Fi Connections?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Aug 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/airlinere...re-airlines-policing-their-wi-fi-connections/

Recently I got a call on my phone where I didn’t recognize the number, so I decided not to answer. Then they called again. Okay, fine — it might be something important so I answered and it turned out to be my friend Nick. Wait a second; #1 why is he calling with a number I do not know and #2 he is flying on Delta Air Lines from Minneapolis (MSP) to Seattle (SEA), how is that possible? Even though airlines and internet providers have tried to ban talking via phones on airliners, there are still pretty easy ways to get around it.

Earlier Nick and I had been talking about VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and I was explaining how you cannot have a phone conversation while flying — he was all too happy to prove me wrong. This is by no means a “how-to” story and I am not going to explain how he did it, since I am against people talking via their phone on planes. However, I can say it was nothing complicated and anyone with a smart phone could and an internet connection could replicate it.

Read More:
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/airlinere...re-airlines-policing-their-wi-fi-connections/

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another case of..........when you have the will, everything seems possible!:)

3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend's co-worker was able to do something similar because the VOIP program that his company uses wasn't blocked. In fact, the video worked fine so my friend (who wasn't on the plane but was talking to the co-worker) was able to gesture to the flight attendant for a drink. The FA and the co-worker both thought it was pretty funny.

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using the right VPN configuration will get you around the VOIP blocks.

5. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have found that skype on the iphone works fine - albeit with some latency as one would expect. Apparently, I would imagine that the skype on iphone protocol is either different than the laptop client, or the routing restrictions don't (at least didn't up until a few months ago) include IPHONE + skype client, only laptop +skype client. Also, the VONAGE client worked fine too.

sobore likes this.