How American Airlines Installs Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Infinite1K, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cali Lewis from GeekBeat.TV goes behind the scenes to show how American Airlines installs WiFi on a newly delivered Boeing 737-800:

IPBrian, anabolism, Skye1 and 5 others like this.
  2. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really cool!

bonnerbl likes this.
  3. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting, thanks for posting.

BTW, for those who don't know, the system they are installing is essentially cellular data (EVDO) tuned for use via airplanes. This is different than what AA will install on their 777s.

bonnerbl likes this.
  4. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fascinatin' stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Skye1 likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting! :)

bonnerbl likes this.
  6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What eric said.

Am curious...

A potentially stupid question (but am confident am not the only one wondering it :D) why it all isn't sorted before the plane is delivered, whilst it's being assembled...noting several comments early on about having to take things apart to do so......

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  7. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My same question. You'd have to imagine it would be far easier to just order the airplane with wifi (like buying a car with an extra option), and boeing adds it in when they're building the plane. I'm sure AA would have to pay more for that (and maybe that's the answer--maybe it costs less for their mechanics to tear the plane apart than it would be for someone else to do it), but seems like it would be worth it.

Having said that, maybe Boeing's assembly line/manufacturing process isn't equipped to handle this?

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's a stupid question at all, I think it's a good question. My understanding (based on vague recollections) is that for anything to be installed pre-delivery, it has to be coordinated with Boeing. An airline can order a plane and choose from a set of options, including seating and interiors, but there's a lot more options available after-market. Boeing offers those that it has coordinated with their processes.

(A crude analogy would be ordering your car. You may have a few options for sound system and navigation units, but there are likely to be hundreds more after-market.)

Skye1 likes this.
  9. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that's what I was thinking....too obvious a notion to have not been considered, and so there's probably a very good reason from a manufacturing- and/or delivery- process point of vew as to why it's all linstalled "after the fact".

10. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks to the OP...this is really cool (and I love rev3).