How Airlines Mine Personal Data In-Flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Nov 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304384104579139923818792360

One day soon, frequent fliers should expect flight attendants to know their birthdays, how they like their coffee, and what they're likely to buy on board.
    After years of dithering, airlines are learning to use the wealth of customer data they collect. Greater stability in an industry long roiled by bankruptcies is enabling carriers to invest in technology to personalize the flying experience and better target promotions. But the airlines sometimes struggle to do all that without making customers uncomfortable.

On some airlines, flight attendants armed with tablet computers will soon have far more data on fliers at their fingertips, including their allergies, seat preferences and whether the carrier lost both their bags last trip. Airlines' marketing pitches are also becoming more relevant, in part based on customers' online-browsing history, their likes on Facebook and their income.

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304384104579139923818792360

anileze, Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this turns into my favorite drink being delivered without having to ask for it, I'm game. ;)

anileze, sobore and Newscience like this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you referring to the first serving or multiple refills thereafter?

anileze, sobore and MSYgirl like this.
  4. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure the FA's tablet will instruct him/her on this; perhaps an algorithm based on the number of pictures posted to facebook in which the pax is holding alcohol or based on prior flights' FA's comments... "Dude's a lush but gives out appreciation certs like they're candy!" :rolleyes:

Reminds me of Linus on this season's How I Met Your Mother.

kwai, anileze, sobore and 1 other person like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always thought the FAs knew more than they let on - Specially in the routine route pairs ? 6AM,7AM LGA-ATL seems to be infested with regulars - So was to and fro from GCM (pre 2008 meltdown)

6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I can hope for is:

Caterer: The buffalo is in 1A, ok, let's load 17 vodka minis
    FA 1: We're only flying DEN-SFO
    Caterer: Not my problem, just reading the flight specs
    FA 2: I've flown with him before. He doesn't have opposable thumbs but once you open 4 minis he's pleasant and gives GTEMs
    FA 1: How does he manage to fill them out?
    FA 2: Hoof print

dmel, MSYgirl, sobore and 1 other person like this.
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p:eek: