How Airlines Make Money: Charge Travelers $25 To Check A Bag, Only Spend $2 To Transport It

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sammich, Feb 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://consumerist.com/2014/02/05/h...-to-check-a-bag-only-spend-2-to-transport-it/

The Boat, uggboy, sobore and 2 others like this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so it costs $2 in JET FUEL to transport that bag. You still have to pay an agent to take the bag from you or monitor the self-bag-drop, buy the paper tags for the bags, pay the airport-associated fees for using the baggage handling systems, maintain the tugs and carts to transport the bag from the terminal to the aircraft, and pay 2 people to load it onto the aircraft. The article does make mention of a few of these things, but seems to rather glaze them over. There are costs associated with checked bags that are less obvious.

As for change fees... those earnings do seem awfully exorbitant. I prefer Alaska or JetBlue's sliding scale of change fees. 60 days out there is no fee from AS, and $75 for Jetblue. Within 60 days of travel, $100 for AS and then $75 to $150 depending on how much your ticket cost with JetBlue. $200 for a change fee from AA or UA or DL doesn't give you any incentive to change or cancel your reservation in advance if you're not going to travel, meaning they don't have a chance to resell your seat, although that does make space for an overbooked passenger.

However, if this is how they manage to make money and stay afloat so we can all go where ever we want... so be it. ;)

skyvan, LETTERBOY, WilliamQ and 5 others like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I can understand the need. Just wished that the cost is lower although elite status does gets these fees waived when I fly Delta. Otherwise, they will not charge but bump up ticket prices across the board and if you do not usually check luggage, that is not fair for you right.

This is one fee that I personally feel is mainly for revenue since you get no incentive to cancel / change in advance but airlines are allowed to oversell and bump you.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This story is basically crap. Nothing costs what you pay for it. Sometimes you pay more and sometimes you pay less. Why is that at all surprising to anyone??

skyvan, newbluesea and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the point I was trying to make is the story itself is incredibly stupid. It's not news, but they try to make it sound so provocative and like they really dug into the airline records. This is YEARS old information, and the policies are certainly not going to change. They're trying to make something of nothing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you know it only costs the airline X amount of dollars to fly you from LAX-SFO but they're charging you Y...outrage and scandal!!!!

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well what do you expect from a publication whose most viewed article was " 12 best things to buy from a Dollar store":D

timfrost and LETTERBOY like this.