Resolved How about remaning and relocating "Local Point"?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by jbcarioca, Apr 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airport-specific nature of Local Point ought to make it a great success, but it seems to be largely invisible. Were it reallocated to Travel/Dining and called "Airports" or something equally obvious, it might get much more attention. I have been trying to understand why nobody seems to go there and that's my best guess.

Is relocating and renaming possible?

eeek, what a silly typo I made with the title. Sorry, but you all know the author cannot change the title.:oops:

violist, IMGone and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not even know about Local Point so if it is about airports I would follow it ... thanks for raising this.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go find it in Community you'll find a compendium of individual airports and soem collections. There is some information there now but nearly everyone stopped posting content because nobody has visited. If you haven't seen it yet I think the point is well made. Please go there and find out. IMO it is a great idea, just maybe needs better labeling and placement.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I recall having seen it in the list of forums but had totally forgot about it... unsure why it is part of Community when it appears to be more related to Airline travel so maybe should be associated thus? I would concur with Travel/Dining as per your suggestion.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me it seems to belong in Destinations, which maybe deserves to be its own big section, not a subsection of Travel and Dining. Hence there would be general travel topics in one big section and then destinations and airports--location-specific stuff--in a different and new section. The airport information does not belong in miles and points IMO.

ADDED: In my longer post below, I convinced myself that the airport information does belong in Miles and Points.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel and Dining is not under Miles and Points. Destinations seems to be a subset of Travel and Dining and my view is this would be better right under T&D ... but anywhere better than Community where it is now is an improvement I think.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, not in Community and not in Concourse Z.

However, I'm not sure it makes sense to have Airports as a big subset of Destinations, which is a big subset of Travel & Dining. My first choice would be to have Airports and Destinations combined into their own major section, so that MP's overall outline would be as follows:

Miles & Points

Airports & Destinations

Travel & Dining (not location-specific)

Community

Concourse Z

Otherwise, I'm not sure whether the airport information logically should be under miles and points (since you need to know airport logistics when planning a MR or even purchasing a ticket for a non-MR trip that involves connections) or travel and dining (since it isn't explicitly about miles and points). I'm inclined to argue the former--that if a new major section isn't created, the airport information should be placed in miles and points--since MP is supposed to primarily be about miles and points. This would also have to advantage of making the airport info more prominent, which would be good because AFAIK having this material organized together is a unique and potentially extremely useful feature of MP.

Aktchi, jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  8. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a change is a good idea and accomplishes two things ... makes it clear that there is an airports AND destination forum available and puts is somewhere people are more likely to see/visit it. There are just too many clicks to get into the NY and DC level forums right now, so I don't visit it often at all.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In favor of a change - thanks, OP. Prefer to have it put right in T&D, as I don't read Destinations.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I have added it to the master list.

IMGone and jbcarioca like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Mikel