How about a "travel emergency" forum

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Misplaced Texan, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    From years of dealing with schedule changes, IRROPS, and the general insanity of travel many of us have unique skill sets for dealing with challenges.

A lot of newbies to the site come here seaking advice for distinct situations.

In the spirit of community building and making this a helpful place, how about creating a forum or place where people with travel emergencies could post asking for advice and then knowledgeable members could volunteer to help find resolutions in real-time.

This would both clear those threads out of the main airline forums and really offer a good helpful service to new members of our community (or even to longer term members in unfamiliar situations).

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rather than being exclusively about individual advice in specific situations, it should also include more general advice about what to do in certain types of situations, as well as advice on how to be prepared in advance.

3. Delta Gazillion Miler
    Original Member

Delta Gazillion Miler Silver Member

Status Points:
    We tried to get one at FT and were soundly shouted down by the TalkBoard.

Like to see one here.

BondAir007 and Chimpy like this.
  4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The nice thing about MiPo is that we are a benevolent dictatorship of Randy rather than a dysfunctional pseudo-democracy. So if we can convince Randy of the value of the idea, it can happen.

5. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the honor of holding the family position of lawyer, accountant, travel agent, bank, contractor and general source of useful knowledge. Having booked travel for extended family and help them out of many situations, an emergency forum would be a great addition to assist newbies. My last big crisis was a call from a niece in the middle of the night. She had just left on her honeymoon and they were stuck in Atlanta with no apparent options to reach their destination for two days. I walked her through what she needed to do, who to talk to and what to ask. They made it to their destination that next day, thankfully.
    I received an additional call from her when their luggage did not arrive at their destination. I responded, "You are on your honeymoon, why do you need any luggage?" She was not amused!

6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That would have been my comment too [​IMG]

7. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to see this happen on MilePoint.

8. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this would be a very welcome addition and something really useful for (in)frequent travelers. Over time a nice and valuable reference body of knowledge would be made I hope...

mht_flyer likes this.
  9. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    As with my comments wrt airfare and mileage run deals/errors putting all such requests in a single thread would be fine providing a referencing post were in the related airline forum. Not everyone would read both (and according to Murphy's Law the person with the answer would be in the other forum).

Even better, some threads should "appear" in multiple forums/fora. I see no technical reason such a feature could not exist.