How AA values various awards and upgrades...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    While searching for a US-Asia award, months in future, I came across an interesting situation:

Both F and J cabins are practically empty. All revenue buckets fully available. Seating chart shows 1-2 occupied seats. Here is the premium cabin SAAver award / upgrade availability:

First - MileSAAver Award Z6
    First - Upgrade A7
    Business - MileSAAver Award U0
    Business - Upgrade C4

Now doesn't that U0 stick out? :)

I have long felt that Business Class SAAver award offers the best value to the customer. Apparently AA agrees because its RM sees other awards/upgrades as better deal for itself, the seller.

2. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    AAnytime awards are theoretically irrelevant to this discussion since they book into any available seat in the cabin.

3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Easy solution: book a First seat. ;)

jbcarioca, wrxmom, sobore and 4 others like this.
  4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both very good points.

sukn: AAnytime awards got included only due to cut and paste. :) I agree that this can be confusing, so I have edited them out. The story here is SAAvers and Upgrades.

tommy777: Can't deny that it would be very nice simply to forget all the rest and just book F. :)

jbcarioca, jmjgp12 and perryplatypus like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the correct course of action. :)

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Doesn't really have anything to do with value to the customer.

It's more related to
    1. what American thinks it might sell for cash
    2. not discouraging the purchase of said ticket by someone that might use miles

American doesn't want to displace revenue with saver awards. And in this case they would rather hold back the inventory for sale than offer it on points. Independent of the value to the end user.

And agreed, just redeem for F :)

Switch2 and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I'd agree that AA's primary motivation is not to spite the customers. :) However, it is a 2 party trade and while both's interest lie in some deal being made, they'd differ on details. In particular what one party gets from the other, the other obviously doesn't get to keep for itself.

In this case both AA and I felt that while F seats are better, J seats offer better value by combining comfort and affordability. I want that value for myself; AA wants it for itself in order to sell it for cash to others. There is no such tussle over F, where availability remains F7 and Z6, and people are not exactly lapping them up. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess you two probably have as much F experience as I am likely to find anywhere, so please allow me to ask you a question. My wife and I are going to fly ORD-NRT, something we have done many times on AA. Other carriers that fly this route nonstop are JL, UA, and NH. If I wanted to try a different carrier (F or J), which one or two of these would you recommend?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd rank them NH, JL, UA, AA

NH is the best food. Service and amenities are better than the others, too.

UA's seat is better than AA's, IMHO. Entertainment system, too. Though I prefer AA's food, personally.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW... I've flown trans-pacific (ORD_NRT) with JAL in J several times (with 2 kids) and have been VERY pleased. Enough to pay the extra cash / miles to keep on flying with them. I highly recommend them. I have also heard that NH is wonderful, though can't confirm this personally. I can't comment at all about F on any airline, unfortunately.

JALPak and jbcarioca like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My only argument with gleff is that I'd rate UA below AA. NH is the hands down winner for me, in all respects.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Confirmed. My JAL experience in J was fantastic. Would definitely fly them over AA.

13. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This best value for your miles is some type of premium class international ticket.

TelevisionTdTina likes this.
  14. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to try JAL F, it's AMAZING~ :D It's much better than JAL C :)

Aktchi likes this.
  15. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just flew CX ORD-HKG in J. It was fantastic. I suppose their F must be better, but I was so pleased with J that I'd just save the miles. I realize CX is not an option for ORD-NRT direct, but having just flown them, wanted to add this observation.

As in other walks of like, it is interesting to note how a great team (CX) performs as opposed to a mediocre team that has a few great members (AA). On AA flights I am often trying to identify a few employees who deserve AApreciation slips. On CX, even the thought would have seemed ridiculous. The entire cabin crew seemed to work together seamlessly like a perfect ensemble; I wouldn't even think of singling any one person.

JALPak likes this.
  16. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having flown AA transcon J, JL long/medium haul F and CX regional F in the past 2 weeks, I would say they are all great, even with AA J.

AA also has a different style of service. CX FAs tend to leave you alone after meal service in F, I had to use the call button for more service. While on JAL F, the CAs constantly checked with me to see if I need more drinks or something to eat when they found out I was awake but are more formal/professional than CX and AA's FAs. While AA's is very friendly, attentive and will joke with you too. Maybe I was just lucky to have a good AA FA. But they are all great and I wouldn't mind to have any of them although I still prefer JAL's service obviously :rolleyes: :p

Aktchi likes this.