Houston Texas - some activities

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Sweet Willie, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

A couple weekends ago we went to Houston to visit some friends.

We ended up going to the Houston Rodeo. I hadn't been to a Rodeo in decades (numerous decades). What a blast !! Of course there are livestock exhibits, where you are able to walk right next to all types of various domesticated animals (watch out where you step!!:)). The rodeo starts ~3:45pm, and it moves along, expect 20-30 minutes of each event (horse riding, bull riding, chuck wagon racing, barrel racing, mutton busting, etc), so we were not bored at all. We had the nose bleed seats and still thought it was exciting.

Next morning took a drive out to the far east side of Houston to visit the San Jacinto monument www.sanjacinto-museum.org which was a terrific place to learn about how the Republic of Texas was born (very informative movie), as well as taking in the sights from the top of the monument which is pointed out repeatedly that it is taller than the Washington monument. This is a great place to have a picnic, lots of tables around.

We'll be back for sure, anyone have other activity suggestions for Houston?
    Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

There's the Cockrell Butterfly Center at the Houston Museum of Natural Science:

Not for those that are afraid of insects! (they will land on you, esp. if you wear something bright)

Further South there is of course Space Center Houston, and the Kemah Boardwalk. And now is the time to go to the Miller Outdoor Theatre (during the ~25 days a year when we have nice weather).
  3. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

I really enjoyed my visit to the San Jacinto Monument also, and the only reason we went was because someone recommended we eat at the restaurant called Monument Inn which was close by. And the Tram tour at the Space Center Houston was really cool!