Houston, I have Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by flacey8, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife is terribly sick - attending a training in Houston. Today is her last day at her training and she requested to leave early so that she can get on an earlier flight to come home and rest. Her original flight HOU - DFW-SFO leaves at 6:25pm (AA2870). She arrived at the gate (GATE 28) at 1pm to get on the 2:55pm (AA3390) flight on standby. Sadly, the Gate 28 agent did not show up until 2:45pm. When she requested to be on standby, the Gate 28 agent told her that her ticket was too cheap and won't let her get on. She called the booking agent American Express and told them what the Gate 28 agent said.

AmEx said: that's not possible, her ticket was over $800.

The Gate 28 agent: That's what's showing on my screen - she can't board - we do have 1 seat available.

At this time, AmEx was trying to help get her on board with an upgrade, but AmEx showed the flight is gone (as it was already past 2:55pm) at this time.

I felt so bad for my wife as there's really not much we can do. There's limited number of flights from HOU to SFO or the Bay Area. Now she's suffering at HOU at this very moment.

There's probably not much I can do now, but I would like to know what you guys would do? Anything to get back at AA? at AmEx? Ways to deal with this? Thanks for any advice. SOOOO MAD now!!!

2. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would you want to get back at Amex?

3. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to AA's website:
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp&locale=it_IT

Unless she was flying on a Y,B, or H fare, or have status with AA or OneWorld it would have been $50 to make the change to the earlier flight. It doesn't look like AA has traditional standby but instead confirms you if there is a seat available.

Although if you look at their FAQ, they do state that if you are not of a full fare ticket and a Confirmed Flight Change is not available, you will need to pay the difference in fare for the flight desired and any applicable charges for the change.

The Confirmed Flight Change is available for purchase as their kiosks.

flacey8 likes this.
  4. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hindsight is easy, but here's a case where the best bet would have been a call to the AA before heading to the airport would have helped. She could have asked what her options were for getting on an earlier flight, found out if the confirmed change was being offered (with only 1 empty seat, it might not be), and whether her ticket qualified for standby. If not, at least she could have rested at the hotel instead of the airport.

I've never seen an AA agent first show up at the podium 10 minutes before departure. That's usually when they're calling final boarding and shutting the door. Maybe Eagle is different? In any case, if she wasn't on a Y/B/H fare, and wasn't eligible for standby, then having the agent there earlier probably wouldn't have helped.

If she was on a Y/B/H fare, I'd complain to AA, though apology whatever they might offer is unlikely to make up for an extra 4 hours sitting around an airport terminal when sick.

flacey8 likes this.
  5. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Swag and Funtodoimpossible.

At the end, my wife was willing to pay to get on board, but because the agent showed up too late, there wasn't enough time (gate was closing). On her actual flight, the same thing happened to another guy. The guy was waiting to speak with an agent so that he can get on standby. The SAME Gate 28 agent didn't show up until 10minutes before the flight time. While the guy was waiting, he was playing around with the phones and the computers at the Gate. Finally he talked to someone, but the Gate 28 agent didn't show up until 10minutes before flight.

So I guess, if you are in HOU and ever at Gate 28, just watch out - coz this may happen again.