Houston Hobby Gets International Flights

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, May 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Houston City Council approved plan for international flights at Houston Hobby.

http://blog.chron.com/houstonpoliti...roved-international-flights-planned-for-2015/

The 16-1 vote authorizes five international gates and a Federal Inspection Services facility at Hobby. Southwest will pay for the expansion in exchange for control of four gates, an exemption from rent on the newly constructed facilities and a rebate linked to any increased sales at the airport once the airline starts its routes to Mexico and the Caribbean in 2015.

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are still federal government approvals required for routes, FIS staffing, and a couple of other things. But I somehow doubt we'll see long-term fare decreases if it all comes together. That's simply not how WN does business anymore.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all routes will require fed approval, I don't think. FL has authorities to run many of the flights and moving them to HOU shouldn't be too big a deal.

And FIS staffing will be an issue, but not for a few years. They do still have to build the thing. ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although it's not yet on their website KUHF (local NPR station) is reporting that United announced immediately after the vote that as a result they would need to lay off 1300 employees this fall.

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope that's just posturing. UA has come off like a spoiled brat throughout this process.

EWR764, DeacFlyer1, JLSocks and 2 others like this.
  6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope so too. I think that's total nonsense. WN operating some international flights out of HOU several years from now does not reduce UA's staffing needs at IAH four months from now.

But, given the egos involved, and the generally illogical nature of the airline industry, I wouldn't put it past them to pull a stunt like that.

7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they going to lay them off before 2015? Because that would make total sense :rolleyes:

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  8. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, and that's what scares me. I know there a lot of quality folks at UA, our Insiders included, but emotional reactions that cause people to lose their jobs are bad news bears.

9. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's not forget it was the city's emotions, not actual studies regarding traffic in the HOU area, the upgrades necessary for infrastructure in the area, parking, etc, that made the decision to come to this agreement with WN.

10. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too true. That quote of 18,000 jobs was painfully ludicrous to anyone who stopped to think about it. I wonder if WN handed out some positive space passes or something, heh.

11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Virtually every number tossed out by both sides in this debate has been painfully ludicrous.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an empty threat on United's part however they probably will more than likely reduce staffing through attrition and transfers at IAH since most of the growth system-wide is at DEN and IAD lately. Also SkyWest just announced that they are closing 16 stations for below the wing and above the wing handling that will affect United Express operations. United will either staff the station with United employees or AA Eagle Employees as vendors (it's still being discussed at WHQ).

13. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just read the newswire. they stated 1300 jobs is a total loss due to cutbacks, doesn't mean just UA staff, but I could see it down the line if you cut massive ops overall airport staff would end up getting the cut. They also stated about dropping expansion plans which could create or prevent quite a few jobs. WN wants to do20-25 daily seems like a substantial amount, although WN is funding this which makes it interesting

ella likes this.
  14. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    WN is funding upfront but city is giving them so many breaks down the road it will end in their benefit, in my opinion. They'll not pay gate rent, they'll get sales tax rebate on concessions, they have the ability in 2015 to renegotiate the lease - even though the facility will not be ready until 2015.

15. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just read more this is being done by a muni bond with only WN's promise to pay on a 2028 maturity, seems bad all round.

16. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA is now scrapping IAH-AKL.

17. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I hope you're kidding. A move like that would be the ultimate in immaturity and illogical decision making ("I'm taking my ball and going home")

meFIRST and ssullivan like this.
  18. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link?

19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    HG's not kidding, but I haven't seen public confirmation yet.

20. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    All that's being said by UA spokespeople is that the route is being reexamined.

21. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    HG isn't kidding... I just read a document that stated the following.
    • 10% Reduction in Flying for the IAH Fall Schedule.
    • 1,300 Jobs in IAH to be eliminated due to reduced flying (Stated Vol.Leave & Transfers).
    • Service to Auckland to be canned.
    • First phase of Terminal B to be completed, the rest is questionable at this time.

22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    To ORD, perhaps? Or DEN?

23. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    DEN only if they move a large number of LatAm flights there. The numbers that were floating around when the route was announced were 65-70% connections.

24. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure LatAm connections are necessary to make an AKL flight work, though.

25. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might not be sure but when Continental/United was getting the merger approved they presented that they would start Houston to Auckland with approximately 65-70% of the traffic being connecting to East Coast & Latin America/Caribbean Markets.