House rejects extensions of Patriot Act provisions

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Mrs. Gargoyle, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrs. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Mrs. Gargoyle Gold Member

Status Points:
    The house is letting three provisions of the Patriot Act expire:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110209/ap_on_re_us/us_patriot_act

Supporters say the three measures are vital to preventing another terrorist attack, but critics say they infringe on civil liberties. These are sections o wiretaps, library records, and secret intelligence surveillance of non-U.S. people who aren't connected to any terrorist organizations.

However, they did nothing to let the TSA expire, so we'll continue to enjoy massages and irradiation at the checkpoints.

2. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a start in the right direction at least.

3. James Dombrowski
    Original Member

James Dombrowski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree.

I really wish people would wake up and stop accepting what is being spoon-fed to them in the mainstream meadia.

4. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is now set to expire at the end of next month, but only is so because of the rushed vote required a 2/3 majority to extend the provisions for another year. The fear is now congress will have to introduce a new bill filled with all sorts of new anti-American "security provisions". Oh, and since the brand new bill can be amended, don't forget the pork. It will only require a simple majority to pass, which it will get. This is a near certainty, though I hope I am wrong.