Hotels Where You Can't Upgrade Continental Breakfast

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Explore, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    This morning I was irritated to learn that the Hilton Checkers in downtown Los Angeles did not allow me to upgrade my continental breakfast coupon (good for coffee, juice, and breads, and maybe yogurt) to full breakfast. If I didn't want the waiter-served continental selection, my Diamond breakfast amenity was near-worthless. The front desk didn't see a problem. I mentioned that complimentary water bottles had also failed to make it to my room, even after special request. I then insisted on a special arrangement for breakfast, which was finally made: I received a yellow coupon good for full breakfast, normally provided only to package guests.

Do any other Hilton Family properties refuse to allow you to buy up to full breakfast, assuming full breakfast isn't already free to elites? Let's name some names.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Don't know which other properties behave that way, it's certainly disappointing.

The new SPG Platinum breakfast benefit is Continental, program guidance to the hotels is to allow a buy up, but this is not strictly speaking a requirement and so the hotels are not out of compliance if they do not allow it.

I'm a bigger fan of the Hyatt Diamond benefit which is full breakfast if the lounge is closed or no lounge is available.
    I may not want a full breakfast, but I sure want the option for one, and at least the ability to buy up and not 'waste' what's offered at no charge. In general this is win-win for me and for the property and I'm a bit vexed at the idea of not offering the buy up option.

Explore likes this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed there about a year ago, and got a full free breakfast for two.

DTWBOB

4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct, they used to do that for Diamonds and maybe Golds. No more, unless you're on a package rate.

5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd still rather buy myself a Grand Slam at Dennys, than rely on many places version of a Continential breakfast.;)

curtis1120 likes this.