Hotels used wrong code and now I lost two free suite nights?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by asya999, Aug 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm so upset now, I don't even know that I can explain this!

I had Diamond status last year and as part of that I had four suite upgrades. I also got the Hyatt Chase card end of 2012 and got two free nights (with Suite upgrades since I was Diamond when I signed up).

On February 28th I had two unused upgrades, so I called Hyatt and had them applied to two paid stays I had in March and May. I paid for those stays when I checked out and I had confirmed upgrades on both.

Someone used the "wrong code" somewhere and the two upgraded stays somehow "pulled" my two free night awards!

I didn't find out that this happened till earlier today when I called to redeem those two free nights (which I've been "saving" for a particular upcoming trip).

Well, mistakes happen, I understand and eventually when they figured out that those were not used (that I paid for the upgraded nights in March and May) they left me on hold for a long time and then came back.

Here is the freaky part - they offered to call the two hotels and have them credit me the cost of the room which I already paid. And the CSR said that this was *all* they could do!!! And he kind of said that this would fix it since then I will have gotten my free nights in a suite...

I think he genuinely didn't see how wrong that was, since I used (or thought I did) expiring upgrades on rooms that otherwise I would never have bothered upgrading but just happened to have confirmable upgrades available on Feb 28th... And that I was saving these two suite nights for a vacation that's coming up in less than two weeks.

To his credit when I said all this to him and listed exactly what happened (he saw only two "used" suite upgrades on my account for 2013 for some reason, but all four upgrades were listed as "awards" in my history) he put me on hold for even longer and eventually came back to tell me that he escalated it to management (who are apparently in some multi-day meetings :( ) and that someone would call me back in a few days... Presumably to fix this...

I was trying to be nice to this guy, because he wasn't the one who made the mistake (apparently the associate who handled my res upgrade on Feb 28th was the one who did something wrong). He even said "It's not your fault, just so you know" but it really made me want to scream "then why am I on the phone with you for 40 minutes trying to get this straighten out and I still don't have my reservation and what if they all get booked up by the time you fix this?????"

*sigh*

I guess since they finally figured out what went wrong and that it was entirely their fault, I have full expectation that they will "restore" the used certs somehow (for all I care they can just give me the 66K points to book the room with right now, but I guess they need to make sure accounting all adds up) but until I actually have the booking confirmed with no $ or points out of my account, I'll be anxious that this might get FUBAR'ed even further.

Thanks for reading - and if you have had good experience with Hyatt GP fixing this sort of thing for you, please let me know - it'll at least let me relax and figure that it will get worked out (and in time for my trip next week!)

MX and uggboy like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hyatt will go further than most to fix things but I'm not sure what your result will be. It's "proving" that's what you meant to do. Did the hotels actually charge your credit card? If so AND they pulled free nights, that would seem to be pretty straight forward to fix. I would suggest pinging the Hyatt GP concierge here and/or DM on Twitter, as both are very responsive on issues like this. Also, please report back your results. I'd be curious to hear the resolution.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear asya999,

Thank you so much for thoroughly detailing your experience. I am so sorry for the error on our behalf, and I am so pleased to let you know that we have corrected the issue, and you should now be able to see the Chase Free Night in a suite back in your account.

If you have any questions or concerns, or need any assistance with making your reservation, please feel free to contact us.

Happy travels,

Dana M.

4. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:

I see one night back in my account, the problem is that I had two that disappeared this way. Was the single night refund an oversight?

I appreciate your attempt to set things back - but at this point I'm still out one suite-upgrade free night as I had two that were mistakenly pulled and now I have one of them back...

Asya

5. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:

By the time I got off the phone I was under the impression that it was 100% clear to the phone agent what was *intended* - his description was that the wrong code was used on Feb 28th so my expiring upgrades were deleted on March 1st (they expired) and the two free nights ended up being pulled when I had my two paid stays (and yes, both stays charged me for the nights stayed, and gave me points for the $$$ paid so clearly they both saw it as complimentary upgrade, not free night).

As you can see in the thread they restored one of the nights - that's weird because why not both? But I assume that this was an oversight and the other will show up as soon as they realize that what I had originally was two nights (cause that's what credit card sign up gets you).

To be honest, I have no doubt that GP will bend over backwards to try to make it right - it's just that in my experience frequently the actual implementation falls short, as an example, I had a bad experience with a stay once - really bad - and the CSR sent a *very* nice apology promising 15K points as compensation and ... never did see it. I did see an unexplained bonus of 11K points - which might have been the compensation but why different amount? Anyway, I'll take good intentions with poor execution over bad intentions :) but in a perfect world I would prefer good intentions and correct follow-through...

Okay, enough moaning, I'm sure you'll see this resolved back to parity - I just wish I didn't have to spend hours on this and I hope the suite I was going to reserve is still available by the time I have both night certs back and have time to call back...

6. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, wow, that was ... fast - I think while I was typing the second message the second night award showed up in my account!

At least I think that's it - even though it shows up separately... Calling to book them now!!!

And I'm off the phone - I apparently now have a reservation using the two restored free night certs, yay!

Thanks Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge - I assume that was your fast action that got things back to where they were before the wheels came off!

Tenmoc and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear asya999,

I am so pleased that we were able to get this corrected for you!

I hope you have a wonderful trip, and if you need anything else in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Happy and safe travels!

Dana M.

OceanBreezes, boondr, Tenmoc and 5 others like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Asya, glad to hear this was resolved quickly with the GP concierge. My own personal experience has seen Hyatt improve in the areas of errors and IT. I liked when Jeff put his money where his mouth was and said if properties didn't post Diamond bonuses they would pay a 50% penalty.

I agree that I'd like to see their success rate improve, specifically on more IT progress. But, they employe a service culture that sets them apart from their competitors. The only chain that competes with them on service (IMO) is SPG, and I still think Hyatt does a better job than them.

Anyways, I'm happy your issue got resolved in a timely fashion. Thanks for reporting back!

OceanBreezes, Tenmoc and skyvan like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that the quick and "bloodless" resolution of this mix up, which did not require much for one to see that it was Hyatt's error, shows the power of sites like MilePoint that have the various loyalty programs actively and officially represented. Just over a year ago I had something similar happen to me whereby a UA representative had pulled 2 extra global upgrades from my account under circumstances that clearly pointed to an error that she'd made but was unwilling to own up to. I related the trying ordeal here on MP and, not only did I get the upgrade instruments redeposited, but 10K bonus miles labeled as "CUSTOMER APPRECIATION" also appeared mysteriously in my account!;)

boondr, Singapore Flyer and Tenmoc like this.
  10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    S#!t happens, but of all the chains, the one I know I can count on to make it right is Hyatt. Sorry for your stress but from the moment I read your first post, I knew it would all work out! Glad it did before you had a total meltdown!

asya999 likes this.
  11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stories like this definitely want to make me use Hyatt more. I don't have status with Hyatt.. but that can change!

12. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the true colors of an organization/business/brand is in how they handle the screw-ups. It's easy to be loved when nothing goes wrong! :)