Hotels Throwing Away the Key Cards to Your Room

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by Funtodoimpossible, Jun 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    CHICAGO – Hotel companies will soon be offering guests a different kind of room key, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

Some chains are adopting permanent keys that repeat guests can carry in their wallets and use for multiple trips at a variety of properties. Other establishments are doing away with physical keys altogether; instead, guests can open their room doors by holding their cellphone next to the lock.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/06/09/hotels-throwing-away-key-cards-to-your-room/#ixzz1OvZ60Ea8

savydog likes this.
  2. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the present situation. I don't want to have to tote my phone around everywhere, think pool, and I lose the cards too much to want anything more than a random code on the strip. I also keep one of the plastic ones for each stay I have in a playing card like pile.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember when they tried this earlier... I think SPG was also experimenting with making your card your room key. You'd get it programmed when you check in, and it gets deactivated when you check out. I don't personally carry my hotel loyalty cards with me, but I think it's a decent alternative.

Wasn't Nine Zero in Boston doing biometrics too? I think iris scans... I don't remember the last time I went to a hotel and forgot my eyeballs, so that's a good alternative as well. Although I'm not sure I trust the hotel to keep my biometric info safe. :)