Hotel's redemption comparison

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by MDDCFlyer, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    There have been a lot of talk lately about the value of hotel point. I have tried to make a (very) crude comparison between all the hotel's program. I am not as familiar with all the programs, so if you spot a mistake please let me know.

The assumptions were:
    1. Redemption will be at the highest tier (but not specialized hotels).
    2. For CC use - all nights were paid with the credit card.
    3. For extra CC use - $1000/m for normal categories, and $500/m for bonus categories, for 6 months.
    4. No special bonus (booking with CC, instead of upgrade, etc) were taken into consideration.
    5. The new redemption levels were used for Priority Club (Intercontinental)

Edit: I cannot seem to post the table correctly. It is attached to the next post.

No matter what elite level one is, Hilton seems to come up as the best value.

I'll be happy to share the Excel file if anyone is interested.

deant and uggboy like this.
  2. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As no matter what I try to do, the tables seem to be posted incorrectly, I'm uploading the Excel file for your reference.

Attached Files:

deant and uggboy like this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can I suggest you edit the first post to eliminate the unformatted chart?

Not sure I understand it but any comparison of a 4 night stay for Starwood and Marriott is intrinsically unfair as it overlooks the fact that the fifth night would be free.

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree that you need to reformat the data so it is readable. As it stands, I don't think anyone will understand it or be able to help make corrections.

uggboy likes this.
  5. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is taken into consideration in the 7 days award (only pay for 6). But you are correct, the sweet point for Hilton is 4 night, for Marriott will be 5. I did not run the numbers again to see if it is actually cheaper.

uggboy likes this.
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looked at the data this morning and indeed, it did not make sense. Started watching this thread to make sure I would not miss any good advise ;)

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Redemption would make sense, of course, if the points we're about to expire unused.

8. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can play with the data in the file. In short it calculates how much $ you need to send with the hotel chain to redeem a certain award - or in other words what is the "worth" of an award in real spend. If you use the credit card heavily change the numbers to reflect your spending as it will change the results significantly.

In all the cases I looked at Hilton gives the best value - even when not considering the 500 points for booming with Amex and the choices of points in stead of breakfast.

What it is lacking is taking into consideration the cash plus points that can change the picture considerably.

TAHKUCT likes this.