Hotels need to inform customers of level changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Hattie105, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Hattie105

Hattie105 Member

Status Points:
    Recently, a hotel that I like in New York upgraded from a tier 4 to a 5 without telling us.
    We have (5 adults) reservations prepaid for June, but none of us were informed of the change and now our points can't be used for a free night as it requires more points than a 4. I think that this is unfair on the part of the Marriott.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't Marriott honor reservations with the original tier levels at the time of booking? If not, I'd blame Marriott HQ instead of the specific hotels.

uggboy likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you elaborate on the scenario? You have a reservation prepaid in June, so where does the free night come in?

4. Shirley8

Shirley8 Active Member

Status Points:
    According to an email I received from Marriott, they will honor any reservations at the old level if they are made prior to May 16,2013 and can be made up to 50 weeks in advance. I received an email that changes are coming. If you already booked, you can get a certificate from Marriott Guest Services for the previous level. If you go on Marriott Rewards website they should have the information.

uggboy likes this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised at the time of booking there is no clear catagory shown for the property for the date of the stay.

uggboy likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I'm missing something here as well. If you had a prepaid reservation (I assume on points) then the category changes shouldn't matter. If it was booked, prepaid and non-refundable then you're good to go.

If you were planning some weird combo of prepaying for 4 nights and paying for the 5th night with points, then that wouldn't be affected as well, as booking the award night would have effectively "locked in" the old rate, and the category changes wouldn't matter.

Even if you tried to cancel and rebook, as long as you do it before the deadline, you would still be able to get the rooms at the lower redemption rate.

The only thing I can think of is a misinformed employee of the hotel that might have told you (incorrectly) that you would have to pay the new award rates even if you book now.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, it sounds like:

- The OP has a paid reservation schedule in June at a hotel that was category 4 when the reservation was made.
    - The OP was planning to add an extra night to the stay by using points for a free night.
    - For whatever reason, the OP did not book the extra night on points at the same time as making the paid reservation.
    - When the OP went back to book the additional night with points, the category had changed.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How would the hotel have known this and the need to notify the OP?

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not suggesting they would. Just making a guess at what actually transpired, since a number of folks can't seem to figure out what actually went down (and my version is just a guess).

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yeah, I know... I was just continuing down your path of thinking. Didn't mean to imply that you thought they should.

And I assume Marriott actually did notify their members of the devaluation. I still get emails from them even though I haven't stayed at a Marriott property in about a decade, but I never read them.