Hotels Expand Mobile Check-In Options

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businesstravelnews.com/H...ile-Check-In-Options/?ida=Hotel Chains&a=mgmt

Already available at a smattering of brands and individual hotels, mobile hotel check-in is poised for rapid expansion this year across the industry.

While check-in kiosks and other methods of avoiding the front desk line in recent years have become more commonplace at hotels, integration of mobile technology into the travel process is spurring greater adoption across some major hotel brands. At the same time, some third-party technology suppliers are providing tools for hotels and distributors to offer mobile check-in.

"You're going to see a ton of change with hotel check-in apps," Concur executive vice president of supplier and travel management company services Mike Koetting said in November during a Business Travel News conference in Dallas. "There's a tremendous opportunity to avoid the front desk, but it does require some infrastructure investment from hotels."

Marriott Hotels, for example, during the first half of this year plans to offer mobile check-in at all 500 of its hotels globally, at least for Marriott Rewards members. Guests who are members can check from via the Marriott Mobile App from 4 p.m. on the day before arrival. Upon arrival, their key card is waiting for them at a designated mobile check-in desk.

Read More: http://www.businesstravelnews.com/H...ile-Check-In-Options/?ida=Hotel Chains&a=mgmt

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, sobore! This use of mobile apps will greatly help the hurried/harried traveler! One can't help but wonder if the downside to such enhancements will be less personnel actually present at the hotel service desk (or elsewhere at the hotel), to help with any non-mobile app concerns? ;)
    Newscience

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not something that has ever excited me....

You still have to get a key,

and if you travel and stay enough and have status coupons for things like free breakfasts

and usually I need instructions to get to the room/elevators/biz center etc.

and more important, I occasionally have to cancel a reservation because a flight got cancelled and have always been able to cancel my room, even if it's after the 6 PM deadline.

Bottom line this type of "improvement" doesn't improve my travel experience

DTWBOB