Hotels.com Welcome Rewards

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by mundosurfer, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not see this in the hotel forum and maybe it belongs over there instead of this section.
    I have been using Welcome rewards and I like the concept when there are no SPG or Hyatt properties at my desired location. For anyone that does not know how it works:
    Every 10 nights at participating hotels booked via Hotels.com you get a free night. The value of the room is determined from your average spend over the 10 nights. If you want to book a room that is more expensive than your credit, you simply pay the difference.

aptraveler, jbcarioca, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  2. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My mother-in-law uses this. It's great for infrequent travelers or people in your situation where obtaining status in a third program is highly improbable. In that case free nights win over status.

My wife does all her booking since MIL is not tech-savvy and doesn't personally buy anything online. And I look over my wife's shoulder since I'm the miles/points junkie in this house. I was impressed by the program. When in-laws visit they stay at a Crowne Plaza. They make occasional runs to Las Vegas and use random off-strip hotels. Since just about everything is bookable through Hotels.com and the prices are comparable to any other aggregator, I think it's a great value!

One item I'm not sure about is whether it applies to properties booked outside the US. When the wife and I travel we often stay at independent places (chains may be too costly or not near where we want to stay) and I know many such places are available through Hotels.com. I always lament that I'm spending reasonable money on 15 to 30 nights a year in such places and not earning stay credit toward any program. Do you know if this program works worldwide?

aptraveler, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    From Hotels.com Welcome Rewards Terms: "Bookings made on the hotels.com and espanol.hotels.com domains qualify for the Program."

There is no exclusion for international hotels booked on Hotels.com, however, bookings on other international domains of hotels.com, like Hotels.fr (France) or Hotels.it (Italy) are not eligible for credit.

Welcome Rewards terms

Keep in mind that Accor Hotels are better represented globally than many of the U.S. based chains. A-Club might be an option for loyalty points in some countries like Brazil where the other major chains still have few hotels (although they are building rapidly over the next couple of years).

And in Europe IHG regularly runs a 2 nights for price of 1 promotion that offers great discounts on rooms at Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza.

4. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ric Garrido already answered most of the question with the term and conditions so I will add to it.
    Most of my nights booked on Hotels.com have been for outside the US, and when you book it will let you know if it is eligible for Welcome Rewards because the logo appears in the listing. I found a few random hotels that did not participate but you know before booking: Hotels.com welcomerewards™ credit and Price Match Guarantee are not available for this property.

5. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I haven't seen this before... I usually book through hotels.com, don't even think my loyalty programmes care if I book through hotels.com or their own site so it could be a nice extra bonus :D

6. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buuuut.. then again, "U.S. Residents Only" [​IMG]

7. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some friendly MPers could 'lend' you a domestic address![​IMG]

aptraveler, tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  8. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The "old" program was awesome value and was my go-to for hotel stays until they changed the redeem options to average spend over 10 nights, instead of the $400 maximum.

I stayed at some OUTSTANDING properties as a result, and certainly lost them some money [​IMG]. The 2010 change just pushed me back 100% to the hotel loyalty programs with their more flexible redemption options and I haven't booked with hotels.com since.

9. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may look into this hotels.com program as I randomly book the cheapest hotel option when I travel for leisure

the other plus to hotels.com is the ability to earn Virgin Blue miles/points...

aptraveler, jbcarioca and mundosurfer like this.
  10. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    My boyfriend and I use hotels.com for mostly international travel. The reviews are very honest and the map feature helps us decide what neighborhood we'd like to stay in and whats nearby. We have stayed at amazing hotels in Iceland, Barcelona, and Madrid! Its incredible what we've gotten for the price (including breakfast!) There's also a Pod hotel in NYC on 50-something-Street that I like to stay at when my flight lands late and I need an inexpensive place to crash. Only a few more stays until we earn our free night :)

11. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I almost have a second free night after booking a hotel for the gf.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have latched on to this program because I despise the legacy hotel loyalty programs in general; I see such minuscule returns on the investment there that I simply avoid them. The hotels.com program gives me some reasonably useful options and I still stay in the types of hotels I like to be in.

Happy to share a PO Box in NYC if you want.

13. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you guys and girls are presenting a very convincing argument to switch to this program.

From my past experience I used everything out there to get the cheapest option. More recently I booked thru AA.com which gave 250 miles per stay (500 when there was a promo). Before that when in South Pacific I used agoda.com where you'd get cash back but without use that cash expired. It seems like using this program I will always be within a few bux of what the other sites offer, pay in US currency which wouldn't incur transaction and conversion fees, and get a reasonable deal by receiving the 10th night free, which may turn out to be more beneficial than 2500 AAdvantage points or a few bux with agoda.com

14. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently participated in their recent free night "unloyaling" promotion. It is my first exposure to them in quite a while. While they have honored everything I have not been overly impressesed with their pricing, efficiency or knowledge within their top level status. While nice people their seem to be much more competitive and competent services and programs out there that I would be more inclined to use.

15. I`m using www.hotels.com for almost 1 year now, and already have 2 nights free at the average rate for the least 10 night that I paid.
    Also I think is one of the best fares you can find online, normaly are the lowest.Sometimes direct web pages from the hotels have a spetial promotion and could be cheaper than hotels.com

16. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Caution: IIRC your stay credits expire 1 year after each was earned. However, once U earn a free night, U must book it within one year of earning it.

tondoleo, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  17. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting smashed with Seth.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This changed recently, we can also participate in Ireland.:)

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used it for some time for travel when my usual LHW, Accor, Hilton, SOG and Hyatt do not. Strangely there are many places where none of those work. There are also cases in which the Hotels.com deal is better than that of the chain directly. BTW, I get rewards in whatever site i use so long as I sign in. Often I use Hoteis.com.br and still get rewards for those stays. This is a good program, very simple and clear, and their consistency is very good.

20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can only agree to this!:)

21. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    yep norway too now ;) earned my first free night, seems easy to redeem as well, good stuff!

22. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for letting us know your experiences!:)

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  23. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, this is my go-to booking tool now. I care little about room upgrades so the free-night feature is ideal.

24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oddly, I have had upgrades too. At hotels in Spain (notably at a winery that had rooms) and France in several places. It has not been consistent, but still has been quite nice.

aptraveler, tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  25. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the first time, I just happen to try this site two days ago for a stay in Rio this weekend. I also signed up for their welcome rewards program. So, let's see how it all plays out!

Thanks mundosurfer for starting this thread. ;)

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.