Hotels closest to disney world

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by naresh_0204, Jun 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. naresh_0204

naresh_0204 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have 80k points from Marriott n spg. I also have Marriott 1 free night certificate expiring in oct and free night certificate from spg expiring in feb/2014. I am looking for 5 night stay. I do have 80k hilton points too. And club carlson points too. Can you guys suggest which hotels are best with walking distance from park? Planning 2 day for park, 1 day laggoon and 1 day water park.

2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only "walking distance" hotels are Disney hotels and the SPG Swan and Dolphin but they all need to take monorail or bus into the park. Every other hotel within those other chains need a car or the shuttle bus. If you don't drive or want to drive I would suggest the swan or dolphin. There are also a bunch of hotels on hotel drive across from downtown Disney that offer bus service. I personally like the Hilton lake bueno vista. It has the Disney early hours, character breakfast and bus service from literally across the street from DD.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott:
    There are no Marriott brands on Walt Disney World property. The closest in the Marriott chain property is probably a couple of miles away (e.g. Marriott Village), but a couple of miles from WDW can mean a dozen miles until you get to the entrance of the particular theme park you're visiting. Shuttle busses from the smaller Marriotts exist but the schedule is very poor.

The full-service high-end Marriott is the Orlando World Marriott several miles away. There is a charge for parking even if you are staying on points.

SPG:
    As Singapore Flyer says, Swan and Dolphin are great choices. You can walk to EPCOT and to Disney's Hollywood Studios or take buses to the other 2 parks. Those are pretty nice hotels though they are designed as convention hotels more than family hotels, not that kids wouldn't be comfortable, though rooms tend to be smallish.

Hilton:
    Yeah, the main close-by one is Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista which is technically on WDW property. It's a decent place, though you will pay a resort fee. They have their own buses or you can walk a bit (1/2 or 3/4 mile) to Downtown Disney and catch more frequent buses there.

4. Waldorf Astoria is virtuoso, DavidO could possibly get you a great rate I assume it accepts Hilton Points and is close enough to the Park as well.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton and the Waldorf Astoria are the closest chain hotels to the Disney properties (especially Epcot) w/o being the on-property SPG Dolphin and Swan. The Hilton is a great hotel and my wife and I had a lovely stay there. The nice thing is being connected to the Waldorf Astoria, we were able to go over there and enjoy their restaurants and lounge.

6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am currently building both my SPG and Marriott rewards up to use on family vacations. One of them will be to Walt Disney World. It seems like everyone is leaning towards SPG Swan or Dolphin, over the Marriott. Is that pretty much the case? I will be driving there so we will have a car... I know that Marriott gives free breakfast at the SpringHill Suites and Residence/TownPlace Suites. That is a perk for me with a family with 2 small children. Thanks.

7. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    For anyone reading this for future trips to WDW, read the reviews on SPG before booking. Yes, convenient, close to park, yada, yada...unlike most SPG properties, the Dolphin & Swan sound like they need some serious upgrades in the service department. I'm a SPG fan and hold status with both SPG and Hilton, But leaning towards Hilton even though its further from the park (in walking terms).

I may call the D&S and talk to management to see if (A) they've read the reviews (B) do they care and (C) have they done anything to fix the alleged problems? I'd much prefer the SPG properties and the closeness to the parks. May not be worth the hassle, but I've found direct communication with the hotel often goes a long way and can be a game-changer in my hotel experience. Just a thought.