Hotels booked with an now invalid card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Generalizor, May 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Generalizor

Generalizor New Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I have searched for a place to ask this and ended up here, I hope there are some people who know this.

Just as the title say, I have booked a couple of hotels a month ago which I will stay in July 2014. However due to events involving unathorized usage of my card I had the bank cancel my card. Now I have bookings with an invalid card. I will get a new one in a couple of days ofc, but it will have different codes and pins. Will this cause any problems when I am to pay for my stays?

gregm and uggboy like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my CC's expires at the end of June, and I won't get the automatic replacement card until the middle of June, so for that reason I decided not to use that card for booking flights and hotels with the current card until I get the replacement. Of course I do have other CC's to use if needed, but the one I usually use will be expiring soon.

For that reason, and since I'm concerned that any bookings I make with the old one for July or after, the card may not be accepted at the hotel or airline if I then use the new card for checkins or extras and that will be a problem for me, so I'll either wait for the new replacement card before making a booking, or use one of my other CC's.

In your case, since you've already booked the hotels with your old card before the problems arose, I'd suggest you either call or email the properties or their chain's home offices and explain the situation and ask if you could substitute your new card and different number, pin and code for the reservations, without your having to cancel and rebook and risk the possible cancellation fees, or higher rates when you rebook.

Just as an afterthought though, is it possible that one of your hotel bookings may have lead to some unauthorized charge from someone at the hotel site?

At any rate, better to be safe and notify the hotels ahead of time, so as not to have problems when you arrive.

Counsellor, gregm and uggboy like this.
  3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends if the hotel will preauthorize the charges before your arrival. Had one that was denied a day before of my arrival because of a suspicious charge. Hotel called me and asked for another one to hold my reservation.

4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're not obligated to use the same card for registration, check in and /or final payment. As long as you have a valid card checking in, they won't care what card was used for the reservation. You could even pay with a 3rd when you check out. All that might matter is your name!!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    All you say may be correct except if the OP made a prepaid/non cancellable rate or if the hotel decides to decides to place a hold for the room before the arrival date.
    I rather suspect with some International properties an invalid card my be a problem in these circumstances.

I have had occasion when booking just a normal reservation ( with SPG and Hilton) that I have been unable to complete the booking with a card that expires before the stay date.

If I were me.. to be on the safe side ...I would call the property and explain and then call later and provide them the new card info.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    blackjack-21 likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually (in my experience at least) the mere fact that a card good at the time of making the reservation has expired in the interval between reservation and check-in has just been considered an administrative matter. Sometimes the front desk will ask on check-in to see the card (explaining that the one on the reservation has expired), but usually it's not even remarked on.

The one exception was at the Palmer House in Chicago some years back. I had reserved the room months earlier, and my card had expired and been routinely renewed (same number, different expiration year) in the interim, and I didn't even think of it. When I got back from a meeting, there was a message on my room phone. It told me that my credit card had been declined, and that I had to come to the front desk with a valid card within an hour or I was evicted!

I attempted to call my credit card company to see what the problem was, only to find that the hotel had disabled the phone for outgoing calls as well. So I used another phone and the credit card company denied declining my charge; indeed, they said that no charge had even been attempted, and of course the charge would have been accepted.

Now I was really confused (and a bit angry at being accused of trying to pass a false card). I went to the front desk and asked to speak with the manager. When he arrived, I explained all that had transpired, including the fact that my card was good and according to the company no charge against it had even been attempted by the hotel. The manager was also perplexed, and said he'd look into it.

It turned out that when accounting went to put in a routine "hold" against the card to cover expected charges, a new employee noticed that the expiration date in the card holding the reservation had expired, decided that meant the card was invalid, and didn't attempt to put through a charge, yet began the whole fuss by threatening to throw me out of the hotel for fraud. He told the manager he didn't think to check whether the card was valid at the time the reservation was made.

So it was a teaching point for the new employee, reminded me to check for expiring cards (I hadn't even thought of that explanation), and the manager comped me a nice steak dinner in the restaurant for my troubles.

But since then I have been more careful. I don't think a problem should arise on check-in or departure, but I wondered what would happen if a guaranteed reservation was not honored (and the guest not "walked"), and the excuse given was that the credit card had expired. I'm not sure I'd want to get into a situation where I'd find out in practice what the result would be. :D

Always good advice.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  7. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never had an issue, but I will verify with the hotel at check-in what card I will be using to pay for the room if I'm on a refundable rate - especially one that's been recently reissued due to fraud.

When you book a non-refundable rate, the card is charged at booking so the room is paid for.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Generalizor

Generalizor New Member

Status Points:
    Wow great answers, great to hear that it played out well for you Counsellor!
    The thing is that all my reservations are refundable and are payed at the hotel and not in advance, except for one, and that one has already been fully paid so I don't expect any problems there.

Now to maybe a paranoid question. Could there be a chance if I contact the hotels about my problem that they will cancel my reservation while if I don't they will just agree to the situation and let me pay with the new card when I am on spot?

Counsellor likes this.