hotel vouchers for first class flyers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by shipex, Nov 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. shipex

shipex Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious to know: if a first class flyer has her flight cancelled and has to stay over in a city for the night, does she get a better hotel than economy class customers? Asking because I had a flight cancelled and AA was sending economy class customers to a very downmarket Super 8. I opted for a Hyatt instead.

2. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    you should and most likely will in Europe, the US etc.

Flyer1976 and anileze like this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premium fares and elite status usually get better hotels than non-status economy pax

anileze likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been blessedly long since I've spent a night on an airline's dime, but I do remember some general trends in this regard. F/C and/or status pax usually were offered something better, and I remember successfully pushing for a nicer hotel. The difference in price at the airline negotiated rates is typically pretty small. I would say: if you're not happy with the accommodations offered, push for what you want.

You might approach the conversation by observing that the airline won't put its own crew up at the Super 8, and you expect better, too. But I've never tried that.

Flyer1976, anileze and Counsellor like this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's because the crew has contractual obligations with the company to put them up in union approved hotels. ;)

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never been dissatisfied with the class of hotel that has been offered by the airline. Maybe a little unhappy with the distance, but not with the hotel.
    Also remember to move quickly and get as close to the front of the hand out line as possible.

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    AF sent me to the CDG Mercure (vice the Ibis) due to DL DM status even though I was flying in economy. On a bump, AA gave me a better hotel due to status - I ended up at the MIA Hilton instead of a Super 8 or something.