Hotel travel: Best card for family of 11?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by 1000Generations, Oct 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. 1000Generations

1000Generations New Member

Status Points:
    Greetings,

We are a family of eleven and are always looking for a way to travel and have fun economically.

I am asking what is best the credit card to accumulate points for hotel stays through general spending (not at the hotel itself)?

I don't travel much for work and don't usually spend money at hotels. But we do spend a significant amount via credit cards for groceries, gas, clothes, etc., and charge everything we can. Accumulating points for airlines seems not too useful given the number of tickets we need, but we have have done well with free stays at nice but modest hotels like Hilton or Hampton Inn (but are not tied to that chain). Obviously, we need several rooms per night. At this point, we are content with domestic travel.

Would one credit card be the best for this? Or any other counsel for travelers like us?

Thank you in advance!

Tom

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best play is probably to rent houses/apartments when you travel and not stay in a hotel. That's a massive group to put into one place and you'll likely save big with the number of rooms you'd need.

satman40 likes this.
  3. 1000Generations

1000Generations New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. But renting does not allow us to use points, so whatever else we do, using our points wisely might at least get us some additional time away. And if we are spending $50K plus on a credit card a year, I want to do something wise with that. Hence, my question...

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best way to gain points us to apply for CC, 4 times a year will get you 200,000 points, plus for your 50k spend...

Learn about SERVE,

Your question was answered, you must be open for ideas, many on here exceed a million miles a year,, the first million is the hardest.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get a cash-back card and use that cash towards the rental. Even though $50k is a decent chunk of charges you're not going to have enough to book multiple rooms for multiple nights many places with the earning from that on a hotel CC.

For 11 people that's probably 3 rooms at a minimum. So a 5-night vacation is 15 room nights. The cheapest HHonors program hotel near Orlando is 20k/night so that's 300k points. I don't know that you're going to be able to earn enough points to make that work. If you're willing to play the sign-up game and have enough adults that you can crank through a number of cards each year you might be able to succeed but churning like that is different than just working the regular spend. And it will probably mean changing brands each year.

Not to mention all the other savings which come from not staying in a hotel.

Good luck.