Hotel Status Suggestions (14-21 nights)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by richinaz, Oct 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually don't spend a lot of time in hotels so I'm lacking in knowledge with regards to hotel status. I have Hilton Gold (from the Visa credit card incentive) and I have the Hyatt CC which gives me Platinum status.

As part of relocating I will be staying in a hotel(s) for 14-21 nights before I can move into my new house. I don't mind occasionally switching hotels but do not want to do it on a daily basis. The per diem is somewhat limited so very high end hotels are not possible. Hotel stays will be in the Columbia MD area.

Currently I have:
    Hilton - 5 stays/6 nights
    Starwood - 3 stays (on the web site it says I need 7 stays/17 nights for Gold)

Any suggestions as to the best use of the stays to maximize status?

Thanks
    Rich

Kalboz likes this.
  2. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ask for assistance from the highest manager you can speak to. Mention your situation and ask, as politely and nicely as possible, if there is any way he or she could help you out in gaining some status with the hotel since you'll be there for awhile and see if they will allow you to check out each morning and check in each afternoon. Speaking from personal experience, Hilton was incredibly accommodating with my parents several years ago when a tree fell through their house. They stayed 67 nights in a Hilton and the manager offered to check them out and back in every day. They achieved Hilton Platinum status in eight weeks.

It can't hurt to ask but be sure to be extremely pleasant and nice.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott was doing a plat challenge for 19 nights in 3 months. Not sure if that's still around or not.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still around ... it's called "Taste of Platinum" whereby you are given the status for 3 months (but not the card) in order to satisfy the requirements of 18 nights. Good luck!

5. Stealth Traveler
    Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aren't Hyatt and SPG doing Plat Challenges these days too? If given the choice, I'd make a run that way vs Marriott, but again, consumer choice on the brand. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    For this length of stay, I'd be very tempted to just park myself in one place. Try for a night-based challenge, either for Hilton Diamond or some Marriott status. Perhaps for SPG, but only if you're getting Platinum -- Gold is pretty useless.

For rates, definitely call around -- with >10 nights, most properties will offer you better pricing that what you'll see on Orbitz, etc. And the Columbia hotels are used to travelers on per diem -- if you call and ask, even the Doubletree and Sheraton are likely to offer a rate at or below per diem.

SPG options are pretty limited in Columbia: there's the Sheraton at the town center (quite acceptable), or you can head toward Hanover or the airport to get an Aloft or element.

Hilton has a full range of properties: a Homewood Suites, an HGI, and a Doubletree (formerly a Hilton). I've never seen particularly low rates at that Homewood, but with your length of stay, they may offer you a rate within per diem. That would be my choice for comfort and value. Since you already have Gold, the HGI and Doubletree will give you breakfast, making those almost as good.

There's a also Staybridge Suites (IHG), a Courtyard (Marriott), and a Residence Inn (Marriott, though it's on the NW corner of Columbia). None of these hotels stand out as particularly special. In general, Staybridge can be a nice choice for extended stays, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay at the Columbia one again.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    For SPG, effective November 1, 2011, the number of nights required to meet their Platinum challenge is 18 eligible paid nights. Not awards or C&P nights but strictly 18 paid nights in a set of three consecutive months starting on the first day of the first month to the last day of the last month. Any member wishing to apply for a Stay Challenge can contact them at platinum.liaison@starwoodhotels.com in order to request consideration.

cliq likes this.
  8. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information. Years ago (2001) before I had moved to Scottsdale I was out there on a per diem basis, very long term and arranged a very nice deal with a local hotel ($30 a night on the condition I was there at least 30 consecutive days). It wasn't a Hyatt or anything high end but had a little kitchen area, was clean, quiet and they treated me well. Would deliver pastries and other items to my room w/o asking for them.

I'm going to stop at a few places today (in town for a home inspection) and see what I'm able to negotiate. I can't imagine November is a busy time for most hotels.

I've heard mixed things about the Staybridge but will check it out. The Sheraton is in a nice location but I'm still recovering from my last stay (a large anniversary party with too many loud/out of control kids, plus they allow pets which I'm not found of, especially loud ones). If I could get Platinum via the Hilton that might be the most reasonable way to go based on the per diem/budget.

Kalboz likes this.